Search Fishin.com

Thread: Dale 10/4/18

Post Thanks / Like

Dale 10/4/18

Surface temp 78.4 main lake. Water clarity, no problems so far. Caught several on jigs on main lake points 30-35 foot of water. Biggest so far 18.5. Live bait this afternoon.
    Likes fishincreek, roadrunner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Water warmed up to 80 degrees this afternoon. Sun cooked us pretty good. Live bait didn’t really work for us this afternoon. Jigs worked better. 19 & 20” largemouth was biggest this afternoon on main lake. Maybe livebait will be good in the morning. I’ll give a report tomorrow. Again, didn’t see any issues with water clarity. Next week when we are coming down is forecast to be in the 70’s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Captain Obvious- always love your reports. Not sure if you want to divulge or not on this but I'm not a tournament fisherman, don't keep anything I catch, and only get to Dale a handful of times a year.
    Concerning the jigs you throw-- do you have any particular color you prefer there? I've typically been using Green pumpkin or Cumberland Craw but last couple trips tried something that had a little more black and brown in it and seemed to do a bit better than usual. I usually throw 3/8oz if that makes a difference.
    I've always been a soft plastics guy but getting into jigs much more now.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Were you fishing in mid-lake areas, or did you cover other areas? I fished the lower lake down by Cedar Hill Marina, and it was brutal and I am being kind.
    Likes CaptObvious liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    Were you fishing in mid-lake areas, or did you cover other areas? I fished the lower lake down by Cedar Hill Marina, and it was brutal and I am being kind.

It was brutal DHart! With a capital B! We were up Wolf river to Holly creek and back to base in Sulphur creek. Water temp got 81 degrees. We used live bait and threw jigs. Jigs did better but all we caught was dinks. Largemouths and smallmouths. My buddy got bored and started to play with the gar. He caught a couple of doozies. Noticed shad starting to ball up in some creeks and that was where we found the gar. Just an observation. We scheduled to come down this week and was hoping for cooler water. Should’ve known better. We canceled next weeks trip. We’ll come back towards the end of the month and November. Should be less houseboats and jet skies and pleasure boaters. Last hoorah for the year I reckon.
    Likes fishincreek, DHart liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
    Captain Obvious- always love your reports. Not sure if you want to divulge or not on this but I'm not a tournament fisherman, don't keep anything I catch, and only get to Dale a handful of times a year.
    Concerning the jigs you throw-- do you have any particular color you prefer there? I've typically been using Green pumpkin or Cumberland Craw but last couple trips tried something that had a little more black and brown in it and seemed to do a bit better than usual. I usually throw 3/8oz if that makes a difference.
    I've always been a soft plastics guy but getting into jigs much more now.
    Thanks!
    I sent you a private message Zimmy. It was turning out to be a book I was writing and I didn’t want to bore everyone. This way, you’ll be the only one😜

Post Thanks / Like
    Replied back, thank you sir.

Post Thanks / Like

Last night at Dale (9/6th)

Started up in Hedricks Creek just before dark then moved to main lake and after that back to Troopers Island. Had 2 bites and had one on and lost it. Very Very slow. Fish did not hit the bait (jig) must have just picked it up after the cast. Slow Slow Slow night. Best think about it was the late night cheese/bologna/crackers. LOVE IT!
    Likes CaptObvious, DHart liked this post