Search Fishin.com

Thread: Nolin Walleye

Post Thanks / Like

Nolin Walleye

How would you fish for walleye this time of year at Nolin? Should we troll ? Are they concentrated up past Sportsman
    Any help appreciated
    Likes daveschaad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    By looking here.. https://www.lrl.usace.army.mil/Missi...-Quality-Data/

It appears water column is pretty stable in regards to temp and O2. I don’t think the walleyes will hang around in water with less than 4mg/l of dissolved O2. I don’t think they will follow the smaller forage like the bass will this time of year, moving into Oct. and the bigger baits will be deeper. My guess is 20-30’ or wherever you see bait adjacent to cover.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pintail311 View Post
    By looking here.. https://www.lrl.usace.army.mil/Missi...-Quality-Data/

It appears water column is pretty stable in regards to temp and O2. I don’t think the walleyes will hang around in water with less than 4mg/l of dissolved O2. I don’t think they will follow the smaller forage like the bass will this time of year, moving into Oct. and the bigger baits will be deeper. My guess is 20-30’ or wherever you see bait adjacent to cover.
    caught a few whites but no walleye

Post Thanks / Like
    Ironically I ran into a guy this weekend who fishes walleye at Nolin and Dale. He said they are very tough at Nolin. I have never fished there. I have been fishing them for only 2 years now and have caught a only handful at Dale, a few on the Cumberland river and only 1 at Patoka. Unfortunately I haven’t got to put in near the fishing effort this year as my first mate was carrying around our first born for all of the fishing season. I have been fishing for them at Patoka the same way I do at Dale and I don’t think that is the best method for that body of water. I noticed the water at Nolin was quite dirty this weekend when I drove by(Compared to waters like Dale and Patoka). I think trolling with boards and the whole getup for suspended fish is going to lend itself better to clear water situations. Most of what I have learned, I learned from Dale Hollow Dave. I would highly recommend him if you want to learn more about their behavior. Unless it’s spring and they are shallow and/or your bass or crappie fishing and happen to stumble upon a pattern/ pile of them they are fickle fish to figure out, I guess that’s why I am interested in them.