Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Lews

I have several lfs series lews. One just had the levelwind mess up, but i bought it when they first came out. I have never cleaned or oiled it & thats the first problem whatsoever i've had with one. I have also used this same reel striper fishing every spring since i've had it & it has definitley been abused. I may have been lucky i don't know, but so far i like every lews reel i've had. .

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of my arsenal consists of Lew's & BPS brand reels. Like mentioned in previous posts, all of the Lew's I've used are very smooth & easy to cast once the tensioner and brake are adjusted properly. I've had a lot of luck with the BPS Pro Qualifier reels. They seem to be more forgiving than other reels I've had. Can make good long casts, accurate pitches up close, and can take the pressure you put on them, as long as they're maintained properly (I oil & grease mine usually 1-2 time a year). They usually run a deal on a rod & reel combo that is under $200, at least during the spring fishing classic. May get it cheaper if you have an old rod or reel laying around you're not using anymore that you can trade in. Whatever reel you decide on, the most important thing you can do to improve your skills is keep it in your hand. The more you use it, the more you'll learn it, & the more confidence you'll have in it. Just my 2 cents, though...

Post Thanks / Like
    abu garcia revo x, 99 retail around 80-85 it can be found without too much looking. using a baitcaster is a learning process, no matter what you spend. make sure you are adjusting your spool tension knob, and braking system everytime you put on a new bait. tighten the tension knob all the way, start in the middle on the brake adjustment. loosen the spool tension knob until the bait starts to fall slowly by only twitching the rod tip. if adjusted properly it should take 3-4 seconds for the bait to drop to the floor, and the bait should fall to the floor and the spool should stop without backlashing. your going to backlash a reel when you first get it til you get the tune process down. don't be discouraged from backlashing or birdsnesting, everyone does it.
    Last edited by JBake502; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:00 PM. Reason: typing errors

Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest guys, the Johnny Morris reels that are in that 80 dollar range and for sale during the classic for 40 dollars are CRAZY GOOD.

I replaced all my shimano reels starting 15 years ago with Jonnny Morris reels, and I will NEVER go back to the 200 dollar stuff again.........NEVER.........NEVER in a god zillion years.

I fish well over 75-100 days a year......canada, Kentucky, Barkley, Dale, whatever.

I've stuck and landed 20 lb northerns, 20lb, lakers, foul hooked 40lb asian carp.............Pounded 80 3-4lb whites in a day.

NONE of my reels have any particular issues, and they have held up quite well.

Don't spend serious jack.....Just get some Johnny's.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    To be honest guys, the Johnny Morris reels that are in that 80 dollar range and for sale during the classic for 40 dollars are CRAZY GOOD.

NONE of my reels have any particular issues, and they have held up quite well.

Don't spend serious jack.....Just get some Johnny's.

Later,

Geo
    If he can snag a BPS Johnny Morris for $40, that's well worth it. That reel is going to perform well above a $40 price point, and is a reel you can grow into as an angler.

edit: just checked BPS website, the cheapest Johnny is $119.99.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JBake502 View Post
    If he can snag a BPS Johnny Morris for $40, that's well worth it. That reel is going to perform well above a $40 price point, and is a reel you can grow into as an angler.

edit: just checked BPS website, the cheapest Johnny is $119.99.
    Yea, that is correct, I meant the Pro Qualifier........and I have a ton of those too......

Post Thanks / Like
    After pulling a 4.77 out of a stump today id like to throw the Abu Garcia Silver Max 3 in the mix. Got it as a budget reel for a secondary setup, but I have honestly been impressed with it. For $50 in the almost year I have owned it it has winched on several 2-3.5 lb bass pond hopping. Blew me away the way it handled this today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.77 lbs, falls creek NEW PB.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	17646  
    Likes GeoFisher, F16ENGMGR liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Any good mid range bait casting reel has all the adjustments you will need. Lee’s, ABU or Daiwa all make one in this category and would be my choice. Practice practice practice is the most important thing. When you cast if you will turn your wrist to where the line will come off vertical instead of across (level) it will cut down on backlashes.
    Likes fishincreek liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand that I was a little late for the party, but I have some interesting observations that I want to share.

My first baitcaster was given to me by my brother-in-law in the late 1980's. It was a Daiwa Black Widow. I couldn't cast a baitcaster for shift. Everyone else we fished with prefered them and they would tell me to switch from my Shimano spinning gear to a baitcaster. I would try theirs and walk away while they tried fruitlessly to untangle the birdsnest that I put in their reel. Knowing that I could fish for a while in peace while they worked on their rig. LOL

I was fishing with that same Black Widow last weekend.

I was really trying to get the hang of that Black widow by casting in the yard and not doing well at all. Then some guy stopped right in the middle of the road and said he knew what my problem was and showed me how to use my wrist. An hour later I was a baitcasting fool.

My brother-in-law fished a Team Daiwa combo which was a nice combo kinda high end for me. He was given a new one as a gift from his uncle. He gave me his old one and I was a Team Daiwa fan. Though I ran Berkley Lightning Sticks in combo with the reel. after awhile I broke the case on the reel somehow and when you set teh hook the case would open up and allow the spool to spin to loosely on the drag to get a good set. I couldn't find anymore Team Diawa reels. I had always bought up good deals and we all had many rods and reels. I fished Shimano Coriolis and Citica. I currently fish A Shimano Curado CU2000 though that needs to be rebuilt.

I use an Abu Garcia Ambassador 5000 on 8 1/2' custom rod that my brother Sean won in a local bass tournament. Both of which he gave me.

The current issue of Outdoor Life (March) has the 2013 tackle test. it is also their survival issue.

Just some suggestions and one good video from Youtube, that I hope will help.

Last edited by peter; 5 Days Ago at 03:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you look at BPS and the Johnny Morris vs the Lews they are almost identical and from what a sales rep told me they are both owned by BPS. I have Lews and Johnny Morris would not own any thing else. Goinging to buy a new lews this afternoon.