Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Which Baitcasting reel for beginner ???

Probably a tired subject but I've fished spinning reels all my life. After fishing with a friend who uses nothing but baitcasters, I'm actually seeing some benefit to them. Fishing is fun and each time I've tried a baitcaster, its not been. So, I guess I'm looking for an idiot-proof (or as much as possible) baitcasting reel that I can begin to fish and broaden my tackle lineup. I would like to keep the reel under $200

Interested: Daiwa LEXA-WN400H Tournament Casting Reel

If you're a Daiwa owner, would like to hear your experience with the extendable Daiwa durability and how they compare to other reels you've tried.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Post Thanks / Like

baitcaster

A baitcaster reel will not be any fun to fish with till you properly set the magnetic brake. You do this by tie on your lure and with rod lifted up hit the freespool button and the lure should fall at a slower rate than a freefall and when the lure touches the ground the line spool should stop/quit turning. You get it adjusted to do this by turning the brake button which is usally oppisite side from the handle;once adjusted backlashes will nearly disappear. Makes a world of difference;and until adjusted properly you will be familiar with a birds nest.LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    And a heads up the most important part of that process is that when the lure touches the ground that the line spool quits turning. I had always messed with the brake but until i learned that part it was still difficult to not have much fishing time without a backlash. And if you change weight of lure you have to reset the brake again. I have a couple Abu Garicia silvermax & blackmax and like them for the cost of well under $100.00. I still fish spinning equipment the most myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Best advise I would give you is just practice casting. When I started throwing baitcasters there were no brakes. That's how I still set mine. Because i have learned to use bait caster with thumb control only . I never have to reset my drag for any lure type I use
    I do every once in a while get small birds nest everyone does.
    But I spent hours on the lawn casting for hours learning be proficient with then. Eventually you will get to the point where you dont even know your controlling you cast. That's when it becomes fun.
    Remember when you first start out it can get frustrating with nests and lure placement and distance but hang in there.
    It's well worth learning the skill
    Likes Bobby Headrick liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I rambled I throw Abu and Lew's all well under 200

Post Thanks / Like
    Lews is my favorite. Dependable and smooth. Especially their tournament series reels.
    Likes Bobby Headrick liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Try to cast like you were pitching a screwball (turning your wrist "in" with each cast. Your thumb will be pointing to the ground when you are finished.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link to a reel that is underpriced in my opinion. I will put the quality and durability right there with reels that cost twice as much.

https://www.amazon.com/Lews-Fishing-...words=lews+lfs

The Lew's I posted in the link has good quality and its a durable reel. Plus I like the external brake adjustment. I have a few of these and I have a few various different Shimano's that cost more than the Lew's in the link and they are = in quality. The only complaint I have about Shimano is the time and aggravation it takes to adjust the internal brakes. It really only takes 15-30 seconds but with an external brake it can be done in 2-3 seconds. Lew's makes more expensive reels but I have yet to try them. I have 5 or 6 of the ones in the link and I am slowly switch all my reels over to them.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Practice & practice some more.

I just sent my 9 y/o grandson a Revo S Gen 4 reel. After his last visit he said he wanted one like mine. I'm still using original Revo's with a multitude of SX's. Sweet reels and bullet proof.

During lunch at work I used to stand on a maintenance stand....about 24" above the floor....and practice casting & pitchin lures into a roll of duct tape maybe 20' away. Guys laughed at me but there they were outside hitting the tops off of dandelions with golf clubs. Make sure you use a heavy enough lure. I'd suggest 3/8 oz something at least. With the thumb bar pushed & the line ready to release tighten the round spool tensioner located on the handle side so the weight of the lure doesn't pull line off the spool. Back off the spool tensioner knob ever so slightly until the line SLOWLY unravels from the spool. Once the bait hits the ground there should be NO backlash. Make EZ short casts and if you start to get backlashes start advancing the magnet setting.

There's plenty of YouTube vids to watch but the bottom line is to practice. Start with 10 or 12# mono or 20 lb braid. Just remember to put mono backing on first then braid. Don't get discouraged and never get rid of your spinning rods. They all have a place & time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have owned most of the high end reels from Lews, Shimano, and Daiwa and to me the easiest reel to cast for beginners has been the Daiwa Tatula SV, Zillion SV TWS and the current Metanium DC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lambertjohna View Post
    Probably a tired subject but I've fished spinning reels all my life. After fishing with a friend who uses nothing but baitcasters, I'm actually seeing some benefit to them. Fishing is fun and each time I've tried a baitcaster, its not been. So, I guess I'm looking for an idiot-proof (or as much as possible) baitcasting reel that I can begin to fish and broaden my tackle lineup. I would like to keep the reel under $200

Interested: Daiwa LEXA-WN400H Tournament Casting Reel

If you're a Daiwa owner, would like to hear your experience with the extendable Daiwa durability and how they compare to other reels you've tried.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
    Abu Garcia REVO S. Set three brakes and you are good to go!! ONLY $130!!

As you get used to it go down to two brakes. I would never go less than two and it always casts like a dream. Centrifugal breaking system is the only way to go. Plus they have the smoothest drag system also. Cant beat it when that big one hits next to the boat

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont buy a cheap reel, youll get more frustrated than by buying a good reel that will cast easier. Any Daiwa SV reel or a Shimano DC would be the best bet for a beginner. From what ive found and from what most who work on reels will tell you is that other brands are inferior. If i had a nickel for everybody that said "My (insert other brand here, especially Lews) was great out of the box but by the second year it was junk. Buy a good reel the first time and youll enjoy fishing more. Have seen reports of people putting the new Curado DC's in childrens hands and them casting it without terrible backlashes. I have a dozen curado E's that ive put a million miles on and still function perfectly