Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Best Fluorocarbon Line Recommendation!!!

I fish a lot of senko and soft plastic baits. Also, I have been told my trusty Palomar knot is not so great on fluorocarbon. Please educate me on fluorocarbon and a good solid knot that won't burn the line thanks guys!

It's here my interested: Berkley Trilene

If you're a Berkley owner, would like to hear your experience with the extendable Berkley durability and how they compare to other Fluorocarbon Lines you've tried.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe i'm just stupid but I've been using palomars with fluorocarbon for years. Then again, maybe I'm not stupid and maybe the people that say it doesn't work don't know how to tie it properly. And it isn't that hard. Four simple keys. 1) Keep everything straight and make sure you don't have lines crossing in the knot. 2) Keep everything loose until everything is close to being tight. 3) wet it (goober it). 4) Pull only on the tag end once the knot starts to get close to tight.

I've used it on Striper rigs for as long as I can remember and I can say with 100% certainty that I've never seen evidence of a knot burn or failure.

I've just finished going around and round with sampling Fluro brands and styles. I mostly use it for leaders but I want the exact same thing that someone would want if they filled spools with it. I want it as soft and as supple and I can get it so that baits can be presented and move as freely as possible. I tried to find leader material that was less nick resistant but still was soft and supple. I didn't find it. It seems that is the trade off.. You either get soft or you get nick resistant but I don't think you can have both. I am all ears if someone has found it.. I will say I stopped short of trying Andes.

I've returned to using Pline and Bass Pros own Fluro. The nod goes slightly to Pline of the two from the soft standpoint. But I have switched to a snell knot at the hook (palomars on everything else) and I do have burn issues with Pline there if I am not careful. Bass pro does a better job with the snell knot I use.
    Likes Wormin, Bobby Headrick liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Palomar works fine IF you "wet" the line first before pulling the knot tight and slowly. My experience.
    Firm believer in Seaguar floro over the years after trying most of them.
    Likes Bobby Headrick, DJD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I switched from Berkley 100% FC to Sunline Super FC Sniper and love it. I will say that the Berkley does have a little better abrasion resistance, but it is also thicker and stiffer than the FC Sniper. The Berkley may be more like Sunline Shooter which I have not used yet but will shortly for flipping/pitching. If I had to I would use the Berkley no problem. I tried most of the Seaguar FC and did not like them. Also did not like Sufix Castable FC either.
    I use the UNI knot for everything including UNI-to-UNI braid to FC leader. I started using the FG knot more and more for the braid to FC leader now. I will probably switch fully to the FG for leader.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Seaguar or Bass Pro brand works great for me. For budget I would use Red Label or Abrasx. The BPS stuff has actually been one of my favorite for a few years. I bought several spools on sale and it has worked well. For what it's worth, I will never use Berkley line again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use vicious. It seems to be more abrasion resistant than the other brands I've tried. Before I switched to vicious I used BPS for years. I had several fish break off with it so I switched. I guess I could have gotten a bad spool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ande hands down. Best mono too. No other fishing lines come close.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seaguar Tatsu here... Zero issues

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what I throw:

4 - 8 lb test - Sunline Sniper Line - drop shot leader
    8-12 lb test - Bass Pro Line - crankbaits, jerkbaits, spinnerbaits
    14-20 lb test - Berkley Vanish Transition (yellow color) all texas rigs and carolina rig leader

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
    Palomar works fine IF you "wet" the line first before pulling the knot tight and slowly. My experience.
    Firm believer in Seaguar floro over the years after trying most of them.
    Red Label Seaguar for me but I don't use the Palomar knot. I use that Shaw Grisgsby knot. Had to you tube it a few times to get it right.