Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally!! Jumps!!

was starting to wonder if it was going to happen or not. i havent seen them saty up this long in 2 years. dont know why, dont care , i will take it !
    Likes headbanger, thunderstorm, kstonich, peter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    was starting to wonder if it was going to happen or not. i havent seen them saty up this long in 2 years. dont know why, dont care , i will take it !
    No kidding I was around Boys camp and looked like the water was boiling yesterday evening...they stayed up for an hour. Bass mixed in as well!!!
    Likes thunderstorm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome. Great news! I hope we find them then we can scrap this trolling motor battery problem. Ha! Anyway i think maybe i know where the second post was referring too. Not to far from jameston....up lake? GL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    No kidding I was around Boys camp and looked like the water was boiling yesterday evening...they stayed up for an hour. Bass mixed in as well!!!
    We hung out in this area i think this morning and did not see anything. Lots of singles. Pulling bait now and still keeping our eyes peeled. Hoping we find them soon. GL

Post Thanks / Like
    Can someone explain to me what these “jumps” are. I would assume its stripers feeding, but what is so important about the significance of this event? Does it make fishing easy? if I head down to Lees Ford would I have a chance at this? on a kayak BTW so it limits my range

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdilbert View Post
    Can someone explain to me what these “jumps” are. I would assume its stripers feeding, but what is so important about the significance of this event? Does it make fishing easy? if I head down to Lees Ford would I have a chance at this? on a kayak BTW so it limits my range
    Jumps happen when predators chase bait to the surface. It's an exiting way to fish because you can see the fish feeding. It's an exhausting, frustrating way to fish because rarely can you get close enough to them in time. And even if you do, you are not guaranteed to hook up.

You also are not guaranteed to keep your tackle if you are not careful. Ask me how I know? I hooked up with the last fish for a limit a few years ago on my favorite bucktail jig and a $450 rod and reel specifically selected for said bucktail jig. I could cast my 1/2 oz bait a country mile with that rig. Anyway, they came up in casting distance, I had the rig in my hand and sent it out dead on target. Bang!! hooked up... Turned to tell my partner I had that last fish on and Zoom!!! there went the rig right out of my hand. The rig hit the water about 15 ft way and took off like a WW II Japanese torpedo. My partner apologized profusely for laughing, while not being able to stop laughing. I told him, "It's pretty screwed up that I am more upset about losing that last fish than the rig".

We ended up with the last fish after all of course... But I will never forget that Youtube video in my head of that torpedo.

Post Thanks / Like

Jumps

Are hat happens when the Fish have driven a large school of bait up onto the surface of the lake and begin to feed on them. Its an excellent opportunity to catch fish casting plugs. I go with top water some throw doll flys. If you are luck enough to ease into a massive school you wont soon forget the shear numbers of fish you can catch on light tackle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    Looked at your profile. What and where is the big g lake?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bottom line it is fun. But it can be brutally painful. U can spend a lot of time chasing and never get a cast in but when you do it is the most exciting fishing out there imo. Unfortunately a kayak wouldnt work unless u are really really lucky. Imagine hundreds of 8-25 lb fish feeding on top for a few mintes. Then you racing over to try and get a cast or two in. If your interested in striper fishing get a guide a few times and take some notes to start. Wealth of knowledge. Google striper jump videos. Not a ton out there but a few to give you an idea of what we are talking about. GL

Post Thanks / Like
    another great morning, caught 10 in 2hrs, it was a little slower but still ok. they didn't stay up as long and the schools were more busted up but they came up more often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    another great morning, caught 10 in 2hrs, it was a little slower but still ok. they didn't stay up as long and the schools were more busted up but they came up more often.
    Nice! Congrats. Hoping we figure it out tonight. GL. Back out now.

Post Thanks / Like

vid of jumps

http://www.fishin.com/forums2/showth...per-jumps-9-26