Views:	950 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	17588
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0009[1].jpg 
Views:	704 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	17589

Anyone know anyone who might be able to pull this smashed aluminum gunnel out......

I'm looking towards anyone that might be able to fix this...........

IT is a long story about how it happened, but just know this, the Navionics maps, at least the latest updates do not include a channel marker buoy out in front of fenton boat ramp. I've been through there a million times. I was NOT running on GPS, but was mostly running on history.

I've been through there hundreds and HUNDREDS of times.....I know the buoys move.......This one was completely blocked out by the shadow of the bridge, and the lighting on the bridge, really jacked up my vision..

I was only running about 20mph or so.......and BOOM.

No one was hurt, no one was ejected, and the boat didn't sink so the only thing hurt is my Pride and this purty big dent.

Insurance Co is having a hard time finding someone to fix, and I"m having a hard time finding someone to fix.

We shall see.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s not good. Your dent is right on the chine weld, I would say one more heavy move and stress cracking is a real possibility there. I would imagine your hull is .100 compared to autobody parts being around .03, “pulling” them out isn’t as easy or comparable as one might think. Even though aluminum isn’t near as strong or rigid as steel, thickness is still thickness. As far the gunnel, cutting out the bad section and custom fabricating in a scab section is going to be about your only bet. If I were going to tackle this the right way, it would be to get behind the dent (removing floor) and beating it into place and if expectations weren’t approved (everyone is different and it wouldn’t be perfect) then I would go to cutting out the bad section and welding in all new. I would definitely get your expectations in line before going for a repair. With all due respect, this is a mess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry about your boat Geo. Glad your safe and back on shore to be able to worry about the damage. Hope you find someone.

Post Thanks / Like
    geo, first of all, glad youre ok, that couldve turned out waaayyyy worse than it did.
    i know there were a lot of boats that were repaired from the damage incurred during the ice storm down here. right off the top of my head i can think of a handful that were in my opinion were "unfixable" but turned out pretty good. i will ask around and find out who did that type of work.
    it may take a bit to ask a handful of people but i will let you know what i find out
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    geo, first of all, glad youre ok, that couldve turned out waaayyyy worse than it did.
    i know there were a lot of boats that were repaired from the damage incurred during the ice storm down here. right off the top of my head i can think of a handful that were in my opinion were "unfixable" but turned out pretty good. i will ask around and find out who did that type of work.
    it may take a bit to ask a handful of people but i will let you know what i find out
    Man, THANKS.........

I'm mostly scared about the weld, as stated above.................And the gunnel is just as also stated above. Cut it out, and custom retro fit a new piece in. I've not found anyone that can do that yet........A body shop said they could "sleeve it, if I could find an exact "donor" boat........that ain't gonna happen , I don't think........

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m glad to hear you are okay. Boats can be replaced, people can’t. As another thought, the boat did it’s job protecting its crew. Marine grade aluminum stretches when it bends and as such as you noted structural integrity and potential cracking becomes an issue. My gut tells me folks that do industrial repairs to commercial marine vessels may be used to working on dented aluminum boats especially those that transit the Ohio River.

Thank goodness the boat toke care of you. Really wish ya the best.

http://www.marineworks.com/
    Last edited by Dobe Mejuwa; 10-23-2018 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Add

Post Thanks / Like
    Geo glad your safe and no one hurt it helps when your going slow.

I am pretty sure there is a guy here in Robinson IL that can cut and weld it. Is that to far to travel. If not I will show him the photo's he has a condo at Lake Barkley so you might hook up with him there.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep asking body shops for PDR (paintless dent repair) guys they might know of.
    Most body shops have someone that specializes in that.
    That will be your best bet, if they can't do it then welding in
    a new section is your only alternative.

Post Thanks / Like
    you might want to get a hold of the prop guy for Bass Pro. he used to straighten all the pontoon damage for BPS. don't remember his name , but Dave or Jimmy at Cabelas marine dept. can tell you I'm sure

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, It looks like I found a place........it ain't cheap.

Also, it seems that extruded aluminum for making the gunnel is available from Tracker Marine, so the place I'm talking with will pull the top plate, pull the rod boxes, remove the foam, beat the hell out of that dent..........fix the bent stringers........

they think there is a stringer RIGHT there that is in trouble, but they cannot tell until they pull the top plate.

Once they do all that stuff, they will also check / reweld the welds, as they do look suspect.

After the boat work is done, they will cut the gunnel out, and weld in a replacement piece.......

Then new rubrail...........

All for a very serious price ......but hey, my insurance didn't balk yet, so there is hope.

I'm hoping to have it all on the water in a month.....we shall see.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Geo

Glad you're ok & good luck on the fix.

Post Thanks / Like
    glad you found a place that might be able to fix it. after asking around i found a couple different guys that "sometimes" do that type of work and they said it could be up to a year before they could get to it.....translation: NOT INTERESTED....at least that what i translate that to.
    best of luck, it hurts when our baby is not well