Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Guist Creek Help?

I plan to go to Guist on Sunday on my kayak. Never been before. Heard some reports of people catching yellow, hybrid & sageye which is what I am most interested in trying to land as I have never caught any of those species before. I went out and bought some white curly tail road runners & shad imitation road runners. I plan to launch at the marina as the free launch does not look maintained and I’m afraid of getting my car stuck. Any tips or directions to head? Where will I have my best luck? Trolling down the center of the lake or beating the banks? I don’t have my fish finder hooked up yet, so I won’t be able to find them unless they are feeding topwater. Any help will be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    The point across from the marina to the left is a good place to start. Other than that tick creek is probably your best chance. Be prepared to fight a crowd though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshunter82 View Post
    The point across from the marina to the left is a good place to start. Other than that tick creek is probably your best chance. Be prepared to fight a crowd though.
    sounds good, thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't fished Guist a ton, but have had several bites on craws and creature baits and flipping football jigs. Goodluck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Went to guist Sunday morning from 9-12 or so. Didn’t find any hybrib, saugeye or yellow. Only ended up with one bass. Water was really high, really muddy and really windy. Too windy to for my wife to be out on the main lake, so we stuck in some coves. I trolled curlytail roadrunners a bit with no luck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181104_160935.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	17677

Post Thanks / Like
    Once you get your fish finder hooked up, look for the balls of baitfish on your graph. The yellows & hybrids wont be far. Like you said, they're hard to find unless they're busting on the surface. It's a long paddle in a kayak, but I'd try down by the dam...there's a big flat to the left that's pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagoinfishin View Post
    It's a long paddle in a kayak, but I'd try down by the dam...there's a big flat to the left that's pretty good.
    Thanks for the help! When you say "a big flat" do you mean what is circled in red below? it is not really to the left though. I am just learning about contour maps and such. The green is the dam.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GUIST CREEK.jpg 
Views:	594 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	17706

http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts....2085/-85.1547

Post Thanks / Like
    When you're looking at contour lines, the closer they are together, the steeper the grade/incline/bank is. The further apart they are, the flatter the grade/incline/bank is. The area you have highlighted is actually the channel. So the flat is to the right (left if you're facing the dam). The other side is a steep drop off.

That flat is adjacent to the channel, which makes it a good area for fish to feed. Think of it like an interstate highway. The channel is like the expressway...fish use it to travel. The flats are like rest stops. All kinds of fish use the flats to feed. And if there's bait there (look for the bait balls), predators won't be far away. When your fish finder is working, the brush piles, stumps, rocks, etc are where the bigguns will be hiding. They'll be on the bottom, where the bait balls will be suspended off the bottom.

Hope my analogy helps. I never took a class on reading a fish finder, but this kind of stuff has helped me through the years. Hopefully this helps on your next trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagoinfishin View Post
    When you're looking at contour lines, the closer they are together, the steeper the grade/incline/bank is. The further apart they are, the flatter the grade/incline/bank is. The area you have highlighted is actually the channel. So the flat is to the right (left if you're facing the dam). The other side is a steep drop off.

That flat is adjacent to the channel, which makes it a good area for fish to feed. Think of it like an interstate highway. The channel is like the expressway...fish use it to travel. The flats are like rest stops. All kinds of fish use the flats to feed. And if there's bait there (look for the bait balls), predators won't be far away. When your fish finder is working, the brush piles, stumps, rocks, etc are where the bigguns will be hiding. They'll be on the bottom, where the bait balls will be suspended off the bottom.

Hope my analogy helps. I never took a class on reading a fish finder, but this kind of stuff has helped me through the years. Hopefully this helps on your next trip.
    tons of help, thanks