Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Trout fishing near Lexington Ky

Ok SO, this is a bit of a complicated/picky one. I am looking for a reliable trout fishing area near Lexington KY, but maybe not as far as the Cumberland. I personally don't mind the 2 hr trip to Wolf Dam Creek but my girlfriend feels a little differently about it. I am wondering if there are any bank accessible waterways that hold trout a bit closer to lex. I am aware that the trout stockings are starting soon here but I'd like a bit better of a size than what they bring in (8-10 inches).

Post Thanks / Like
    The only place "close" to Lexington I know of that has trout waters is the Dix River (below Herrington Lake). But, you better know what you're doing and the situation of the river before attempting any such venture. Access is by way of the KY River at High Bridge & then up river to the Dix River (where it enters the KY River). At least that's the only "public access" way to get on the Dix River, that I know about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Floyds Fork can be accessed in Louisville from Beckley Creek Park. It's about 1hr 10min from Lex. There are some spots you can access good water from the bank, but much of the Fork is bank protected. It is best accessed by Kayak or Canoe though. Elk Horn Creek is close to Lexington and fantastic for smallmouth, no idea if trout are present there.