Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Your best outdoors related "daily double"

Most of the time, when i go fishing, that's about all I do that day. Recently, I wondered what it would be like to have a great day fishing and follow up with some other achievement that day.

Examples: Catch a 4 pound bass and get a buck; catch a keeper smallmouth at Cumberland, then get another at Dale; go for a 'metric century' (62 mile) bike ride AND catch a keeper; or maybe a great day at the Track, or golf course, followed by success on the water. That kind of thing.

All I have ever done is 'mow the lawn' and do some fishing. Has anyone had any great 'daily doubles'? Please share!

Post Thanks / Like
    at my age, my most exciting daily double is good food and good sleep.
    going to mailbox is my other highlight of the day.
    Likes Wormin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I dread having to get dressed and walking to the Mailbox

Quote Originally Posted by dragmerc View Post
    at my age, my most exciting daily double is good food and good sleep.
    going to the mailbox is my other highlight of the day.
    I live in gym shorts and a T-shirt these days and keep the heat up to 78 deg F mostly day and night. I get winded just walking down the driveway to the mailbox and back to the house. I had my Mitral Valve repaired in 2009 and it's still leaking as per some Echo Cardiogram exams. So I get tired easily due to having 4 heart attacks and this leaking valve.

My hunting and fishing has been curtailed these days.

But some of my best days afield were catching 40 crappie at one sitting in less than 30 minutes. That was fun. Another good day in the field was shooting a couple of Giant Canadian Geese while hunting at Hovey's Lake Fish and Wildlife Area.

Another great day afield was hunting for ducks up at Purdue my Junior year. My Frat brother (wildlife major and great hunter) invited me to go with him on a duck hunt. We drove off campus to a slew area which was frozen over. The ice was about 1" thick. Too thin to walk on and too thick to chop up. We chopped a small path though the ice for about 50 ft and setup some decoys and went back to the shore line with our canoe. Ducks started to land out in the middle as it was getting dark. There must have been 400 ducks landing in this lake/slew. It was amazing to see so many wild ducks in the air. My frat brother called a few over our way and shot one.It was a long shot and the duck landed on top of the ice and slid for a hundred yards as it was flying so fast that it's momentum carried it across the ice's surface. We didn't recover that duck but had a good time. Watching 400 ducks trying to land out in the middle of that water/lake was amazing. They were so loud. They had a small area that was ice free and they were all spending the night in that area.

Post Thanks / Like
    The fishing part is about the most all I have done in one day. I wear myself out out there!

I have fished in the morning and then tried again in the evening but it has always been too much even when I was young. The evening part kind of interferes with the next day morning part.

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    The fishing part is about the most all I have done in one day. I wear myself out out there!

I have fished in the morning and then tried again in the evening but it has always been too much even when I was young. The evening part kind of interferes with the next day morning part.
    My dad use to take a week off during the teachers convention and go fishing down at KY Lake and took me with him. He would wake me up at 4 am and we would be on the water before the sun was fully up and the fog had not lifed yet. It took us 30 minutes to get out on the main lake as the fog was so bad in the mornings. We would hug the bank and fish, working our way out to the main lake. We would fish the part of the main lake at the mouth of the bay where there was a small island between the main lake and the shoreline. We woudl fish this spot with the morning sun slowly peaking over the horizon. We would then work our way down the lake towards the **** and fish the Hot Spot and Shannon Creek. By 10 O'clock or around noon some times if the fishing was good we would head back in and clean the fish and take a nap. He would wake me back up by 4 pm and we would be back out fishing until dark. Then we would clean the fish and make supper and go to bed after watching some TV or reading for a while. Then the next day it was the same thing all over again.

Now that my dad passed away back in 2001 I take my time when fishing. I may not get on the water until 10 am and fish when I feel like it. I'll stop fishing when I get tired and there is no rush ever. I'm the same way when I take a vacation. A vacation is suppose to be a time to relax IMHO. It's not a time to rush around on a time schedule. My X wife was like that and I hated her when she did things like that while we were on vaction. That's what work is for. Time schedules. Vacations are when it's time to slows down and not rush around on a schedule.

Post Thanks / Like

Golf and Fishing

I have done this several times and I feel blessed when I do it. Now being a single man I have done some nightly doubles.....but its not info to be talked about on here.

Post Thanks / Like

codger conclave?

There were so many great double days I've lost track of them, likegetting canada geeseout of a small flock and my buddy also doubled.I quit hunting after that, those birds are too great to be killed for sport. Had3 keeper srtipers all on at once, landed 2. My son and eye caught to bass,mine was 7.7 and my sons was 8/14.But that was the "glory of rome"Now it's just thanking the lord for another painless day, it was great life