Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Duayne....

Haven't talked in a couple days, what the total count for the annual "Turkey week striper blitz" ? lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    Haven't talked in a couple days, what the total count for the annual "Turkey week striper blitz" ? lol
    Geesh, let me think.... I haven't updated my notes and I need to do that today. We got 6 fish limits every day 3 went out but one. That day we had 11 fish, just couldn't get the last keeper. Had four fish limits a few days two went out but one. We had three keepers that day with I think 7 total. That was the day UK played an early game and we stopped early for that. Had five keepers and two shorts on at once one day. Our last day had a triple and three doubles with an 11 fish total. The last double was two keepers and we only needed one so a good fish was pardoned. Lol. It was a fantastic trip! But it is feast or famine right now. I spent a lot of time talking to myself under my breath and second guessing. But once I found them, it was on. Only had two days I could go back to the same spot and fish the same pattern. Otherwise, it was adjust adjust adjust. People can see picks on Facebook. search for Duayne Barr. Pics are public.

Edit: Also, early in the trip we picked up some monster smallmouth. One measured 21.5 inches and a chart said it was probably close to six pounds. There are pics of some smallies too, including that one.
    Last edited by Duayne; 11-25-2018 at 02:10 PM.
    Likes awfol liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I fished Sunday (didn't do as well as Duyane). We fished White Oak. Lot of boats up where we planned to fish early but only saw one of them hook up. We pulled bait and bottom fished all day. Had a couple of short strikes throughout the day. Marked fish and bait all day but fish were tight lipped. At 5 they started coming up in jumps and we managed a keeper out of the jumps but that was the only fish we brought home. Did pick up some nice smallies bottom fishing but always do up that creek. Guess I'm gonna have to move closer to the big end with you boys!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    spent most of Saturday trying to catch bait in the creeks. Finally caught some decent bait late in the afternoon but only managed 2 pull downs. Marked bait near the surface and also down 30-40 range. Water temp 58 or so in the creeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Short fish have been running above the better fish. That wasn't always the case but it was a pretty good rule of thumb. Cats were biting soft and usually move in for clean up duty after the stripers leave. It was time to leave when the marks start barely nibbling and\or soft pull downs or they will chew up your bait.
    Likes peter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Because of fog and cold temps early I elected to wait until it was light out to head to the back of the creek and net thread-fins. Once the the fog got burned off and the sun hit the water the thread-fins were relatively easy to net. If you just see a couple flip on the surface "coast" in there and throw off the front of the boat. Sometimes the water will be barely swirling and there a ton in there. Don't be fooled by the bubbles from the bottom in the back of the creeks.

Some people don't like using thread-fins but they don't bother me at all. That is what the fish are eating. A real small hook like a No 2 and helps allow the bait to last longer on the hook I think. Think of "ball and chain" and "smashed head" with a bigger hook. Trolling 26' to surface the bait was lasting 30 minutes to an hour and longer and staying healthy in the live well.

Thanks for the good info. What size were the threadfins you caught ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Fished on a windy Sunday this past weekend. Had a little trouble getting bait but finally found enough and started fishing about 8:30. Caught a good one at 9 on our first pull down the bank (pulling balloons and down lines). Wind started picking up around 11 and was tossing my 18 foot tracker all over the place so spent the rest of the day trying to hide from it. Had a couple more pulls and lost two fish while pulling bait. Eventually had to go to the bank and bottom fish. Picked up two more keepers and pulled a couple baits out of a few more bites.
    Likes peter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hooverfish View Post
    Thanks for the good info. What size were the threadfins you caught ??
    not really sure. they were not big ones and they were not too small to fish with.
    2.5" give or take a half inch?? I only know two sizes of threadfin. Big enough and not big enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvtohunt View Post
    Fished on a windy Sunday this past weekend. Had a little trouble getting bait but finally found enough and started fishing about 8:30. Caught a good one at 9 on our first pull down the bank (pulling balloons and down lines). Wind started picking up around 11 and was tossing my 18 foot tracker all over the place so spent the rest of the day trying to hide from it. Had a couple more pulls and lost two fish while pulling bait. Eventually had to go to the bank and bottom fish. Picked up two more keepers and pulled a couple baits out of a few more bites.
    thanks for the report. Pretty good for such a windy day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    not really sure. they were not big ones and they were not too small to fish with.
    2.5" give or take a half inch?? I only know two sizes of threadfin. Big enough and not big enough.
    Thanks for the previous info.

What type of small hooks are you using that can handle a striper? Edit...size 2 or 2/0?

How do you hook those threadfins to keep them alive that long?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderstorm View Post
    Thanks for the previous info.

What type of small hooks are you using that can handle a striper? Edit...size 2 or 2/0?

How do you hook those threadfins to keep them alive that long?
    Hooks either Gamagatsu No. 2 Octopus (not 2/0). Somebody also makes a drop shot hook that is about the same size and shape but a little thinner and weaker (extremely sharp) ...can't remember the name but big name brand. I purchased at Bass pro or Cabelas store. If you don't have the drag cranked way down, let the "rod" fight the fish and are not in a hurry pumping the rod I don't think there is much danger in the hook breaking on run of the mill fish. Soft rod and stretchy line like Big Game help too. Whatever you can do to reduce shock.

No.1 hooks may work too on larger thread-fins.

Hook through one side and come out the other at about ten o'clock just in front of the eye. These small hooks go through like surgical needles (you' ll be amazed) and doesn't smash the bait. You will know what to do once you try a few different sizes.
    Likes thunderstorm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Hope to give a try this winter.