Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland River winter trout

New to the forum. Was wondering if anyone fishes the Cumberland River below Wolf Creek Dam in the winter to state line ? Trout fishing ? Fly or spinning rod ? What baits are good this time of year for you all and what kind of success rate do you have.

Post Thanks / Like
    I fish the river all through the winter and you never know what you're going to get from year to year. one year it might be big rainbows , browns and bookies with the occasional striper, walleye and maybe a sauger here and there. other years it might be ok-is on the trout and full of white bass and cats.
    I fish from a boat and use small jigs, color doesn't matter as it changes from day to day. if there is no generator flow or no sluice gate flow you can fish from the bank and catch trout on the usual stuff, powerboat, corn, garlic cheese , nightcrawlers etc. if you fish from the bank during generation discharge you can cast husky jerks and catch stripers ,walleye, some trout skipjacks etc.
    Likes Wormin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto to what Striper said above. I typically only fish if they are generating and stay up around the discharge. We will cast and drift shad or throw husky jerks and spoons through the discharge water. Usually a mixed bag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stupid question I’m sorry. You fish out of a boat and drift with the river current and jig ??or do you anchor over off the bank and jig in holes ? I’m new to winter trout fishing. I’ve Always fished the river from the bank and on a boat during spring, summer and fall for trout and done well. Been on river several times last few weeks and it has been so so slow. Been Fishing from boat. Drifting into holes and casting towards banks, rocks, swift waters etc. Casting spinner style baits and also using salmon eggs and power bait. Tried trolling shad wraps. Every color. Every style. You name it I’ve thrown it at them. Not having any luck. Have the trout fever and figured cold shouldn’t stop me. Any tips and info greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Trout fan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout fan View Post
    Stupid question I’m sorry. You fish out of a boat and drift with the river current and jig ??or do you anchor over off the bank and jig in holes ? I’m new to winter trout fishing. I’ve Always fished the river from the bank and on a boat during spring, summer and fall for trout and done well. Been on river several times last few weeks and it has been so so slow. Been Fishing from boat. Drifting into holes and casting towards banks, rocks, swift waters etc. Casting spinner style baits and also using salmon eggs and power bait. Tried trolling shad wraps. Every color. Every style. You name it I’ve thrown it at them. Not having any luck. Have the trout fever and figured cold shouldn’t stop me. Any tips and info greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Trout fan
    drift with the current, run back up, drift with the current, run back up, drift wi.....you get the idea lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Again, ditto with Striper. Run up to the wall, drift back. I have been able to get into seems in the discharge and hold the boat fairly well with the trolling motor as well but it can have the potential to be dangerous. If we do this I keep on the TM and we leave the engine running with my buddy staged at the console in case we get in a bad position.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks fellas. I’ll give it a whirl. Last few times I’ve been out I think I’m the only soul on the river. Haven’t seen anyone. It has been nice and a change. Definitely different fishing in cold weather.
    Trout fan

Post Thanks / Like
    not sure what kind of line you're using but I use 6# p line flouroclear for jigs and 8lb p line flourocarbon for jerks and cranks below the dam. I know #6 seems very light but somedays that's the only rod that i get bit on so it makes a difference in my mind at least

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    drift with the current, run back up, drift with the current, run back up, drift wi.....you get the idea lol
    Many decades ago we'd do the same thing .... bouncing a Kastmaster spoon off the bottom, as the boat drifted away from the dam. Trolling motor was just used to keep the boat positioned - big motor running (not only to make the return trip upstream, but also to run back to jiggle a hung-up lure free from the rocks). Caught some nice Rainbow Trout doing that. But, like's been said, the proper amount of gates has to be open ... and you have to know the output schedule and what the sirens mean !!

By the way ... my most productive trip was in Dec & it was snowing !! LOL !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Troutfan, Ill be down December 8th to fish. Id be morr than happy to let you tag along on my boat and I can show you what I know and help you scratch that trout itch

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aps71285 View Post
    Troutfan, Ill be down December 8th to fish. Id be morr than happy to let you tag along on my boat and I can show you what I know and help you scratch that trout itch
    DONT DO IT!!! ITS A TRICK! his girlfreind cant go that day and all you will do all day is net his fish!!
    you should take anthony up on his offer , he catches the snot out of fish below the dam
    Likes aps71285 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Appreciate the offer. Will be out of town then. Went out today from Burkesville and floated south. I was Out over half the day. Started out great this morning then all at once the bite stopped. Idk. Scratching my head wondering how to consistently bring fish in the boat?? Cold weather has been tuff for me but it sure is a lot of fun trying. I’m Hooked like a fat kid needing cake.