Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dale Hollow

Post Thanks / Like
    I loved Elnut's post have printed several of them he is a hero would fish in some of the nastiest weather and had serious health issues. He shared so much information and if he said it I believed it I am still fishing bass pro flouro on his recommendation and think it is as good as you can get for the price. Great guy

What has happened to Elnut?
    Likes MagikSmallie, N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    Spent the last 3 weekends on the holler. Fishing has been tougher than expected but I am learning winter time on Dale slowly but surely. With the lake being somewhere around 12-14' higher than normal as well as being several degrees colder than normal It's been difficult finding the bass, especially from the kayak! About 3 weeks ago I went down with my dad and found a few bass in the thicker grass edges on small swimbaits, last week was pretty much a total bust for me, I found plenty of bait, grass and all the right stuff just couldn't get the bite dialed in.

This weekend was better, I managed to find a few quality smallmouth on channel banks near grass and more importantly situated on or very near main and secondary points. fish I've been seeing are anywhere from 15-30' and definitely off the banks. I've been playing with the float n fly, not any success YET, but I will keep trying. This week my best bites came on a Football jig and the A-Rig both fished excruciatingly slow. Water temps were anywhere from 49-51, with the lake being pulled really hard right now.

My patience really paid off Saturday with this 22" beast that came off a point on the FB jig in about 20'. I did not weigh her but have had many smallmouth at or over the 6lb mark and I feel safe to say that this one was between 5 3/4-6lbs.

I have to throw out a huge thank you to GeoFisher for really showing me what it takes to locate these big brown fish as well as Rick Hise for helping me narrow down some specifics. You gotta love the knowledge and access to knowledge that this message board provides. I've been a member here for years and can't imagine a better place to share info or meet great folks who love to fish! I plan on heading back at least 1 or 2 more times this winter and will let you all know how it goes!
    The fnf out of a kayak, that would be a hoot. Its all i can do not to wrap that thing around everything in the boat in a 21'er. I really enjoy throwing the fly and would like to find somebody that can go throw it all day on the holler or cumberland. Most of the guys i fish with (myself included) will pick up somethin else if we dont get bit on it pretty quick. Awesome fish by the way
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    The fnf out of a kayak, that would be a hoot. Its all i can do not to wrap that thing around everything in the boat in a 21'er. I really enjoy throwing the fly and would like to find somebody that can go throw it all day on the holler or cumberland. Most of the guys i fish with (myself included) will pick up somethin else if we dont get bit on it pretty quick. Awesome fish by the way
    If the weather is right, I will throw it all day...........I do know that When Woody and John won the Billy, they caught their nice one on a fly..........in the middle of the day.........IN THE SUN.

Don't say it won't work .

Ka BOOM......

later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Spent the last 3 weekends on the holler. Fishing has been tougher than expected but I am learning winter time on Dale slowly but surely. With the lake being somewhere around 12-14' higher than normal as well as being several degrees colder than normal It's been difficult finding the bass, especially from the kayak! About 3 weeks ago I went down with my dad and found a few bass in the thicker grass edges on small swimbaits, last week was pretty much a total bust for me, I found plenty of bait, grass and all the right stuff just couldn't get the bite dialed in.

This weekend was better, I managed to find a few quality smallmouth on channel banks near grass and more importantly situated on or very near main and secondary points. fish I've been seeing are anywhere from 15-30' and definitely off the banks. I've been playing with the float n fly, not any success YET, but I will keep trying. This week my best bites came on a Football jig and the A-Rig both fished excruciatingly slow. Water temps were anywhere from 49-51, with the lake being pulled really hard right now.

My patience really paid off Saturday with this 22" beast that came off a point on the FB jig in about 20'. I did not weigh her but have had many smallmouth at or over the 6lb mark and I feel safe to say that this one was between 5 3/4-6lbs.

I have to throw out a huge thank you to GeoFisher for really showing me what it takes to locate these big brown fish as well as Rick Hise for helping me narrow down some specifics. You gotta love the knowledge and access to knowledge that this message board provides. I've been a member here for years and can't imagine a better place to share info or meet great folks who love to fish! I plan on heading back at least 1 or 2 more times this winter and will let you all know how it goes!
    Thank you for your kind words. Your story certainly shows
    your ability to figure it out.
    Much harder than reeling em in

A great accomplishment!

Post Thanks / Like
    I pretty much always throw it all day when I go.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post

Hey, Michael, PM me sometime, I think I lost your contact info.........

WE should get back together for a trip to Dale sometime.

Post Thanks / Like

Great report!

You're a braver man than I am to fish out of a kayak on Dale during the winter. I've considered it before, but couldn't make myself do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Long time no talk michael. Send me a pm or a text if ya still have my number and we'll get together and go. Im still slingin that bps fnf rod. We had a couple really big days on it on cumberland last year.
    Likes know1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Long time no talk michael. Send me a pm or a text if ya still have my number and we'll get together and go. Im still slingin that bps fnf rod. We had a couple really big days on it on cumberland last year.
    Just sent a text to the number I still had for you in my phone. I hope you still have the same one. It has been a long time. I don't have a boat anymore, so I don't do as much fishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can manage to cast it fairly well, but I'm only using a 9' leader if I went longer it would be tricky for sure!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great report!

You're a braver man than I am to fish out of a kayak on Dale during the winter. I've considered it before, but couldn't make myself do it.
    It's fun, just have to dress right and be smart about weather etc. let me know and we'll go together. I may go Saturday if the weather isnt horrible.
    Likes know1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It's fun, just have to dress right and be smart about weather etc. let me know and we'll go together. I may go Saturday if the weather isnt horrible.
    I can't go this weekend, but I'm off work from that point until Jan. 2. I could maybe go during that time. Do you ever try Cumberland? I think you could easily get to a few decent spots near the Pleasant Grove ramp without too much paddling.

My Kayak isn't nearly as nice as yours. It's a pretty basic sit-in with not modifications.

I don't think it would be tough to cast the FNF, but landing fish and dealing with retying, etc. might be a pain.