Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dale Hollow

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    I can't go this weekend, but I'm off work from that point until Jan. 2. I could maybe go during that time. Do you ever try Cumberland? I think you could easily get to a few decent spots near the Pleasant Grove ramp without too much paddling.

My Kayak isn't nearly as nice as yours. It's a pretty basic sit-in with not modifications.

I don't think it would be tough to cast the FNF, but landing fish and dealing with retying, etc. might be a pain.
    I agree, landing when using anything over a 9ft leader in a yak would be a circus and I’d likely end up in the water. Also not much room on a yak for a heater. Last year when I launched on Jan 1st it was 7 degrees with below 0 windchill. If I didn’t have the heater at my feet there would be no way my fingers could work to retie. I usually treat my rod eyelets with a little dab of vasoline to prevent them from freezing up, much cheaper than using fish dope which I’ve done before with success. Ive also used a dropper with rubbing alcohol.

I’ll be down beginning on Jan 1st staying at Hollow Log Cabins and lighting out of Holly Creek each morning before sun up.

Good luck to all you wintertime fishermen and be safe out there.
    Likes know1, MagikSmallie, roadrunner, Bardcard liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ON3 3Y3D WILLI3 View Post
    Great report and a great fish. I’ll begin my annual pilgrimage to the Hollow on January 1st and I can not wait. As Geo made mention of, I owe just about everything I know about fishing Dale to Elwood Lumpkins. Many years ago he and I went down on New Year’s Day and had an all world haul. Several 5s, several overs, doubles, and a fantastic ‘competition’ bite. What is that you may ask? Well, I cast out and begin to wiggle the bobber when it just disappears. Not in the typical FnF fashion whereby with a slight gulp, your bobber is pulled down. No, it was there and then it was not and that fish hit my fly on a 13 ft leader with however much braid I had out on the cast and the line went straight taut. She hit it and went down as fast as she could. Elwood notices and says that’s a ‘competition’ bite. She wanted to nab it and get away quick. He says this as he casts in proximity while I’m playing my fish. His bobber sets up and boom, down it goes. My fish was small and easily brought to the boat and released while he’s playing his. I grab the net. I’m nervous. He’s shouting that this lady has shoulders and may be his largest ever out of Dale. I’m more nervous now. Get her to the net and she’s a solid 6.5. I would have called her 7+ and we are both ecstatic. We caught a lot of fish after that and it was truly an all world day that we will never forget. I fish that same exact spot for one full day solid each year. Not moving whether the fish are there or not. With each cast I make during that day I remember the smile on his face and the knowledge he shared with me during our times on that lake. My PB is a 12.5 LMB, I’ve caught 200 lb tuna, and 100+ pound tarpon, bonefish out the wazoo, big big trout, and tiger fish and Nile perch in Africa but nothing, and I mean nothing, beats a 4 pound SMB on the fly at Dale Hollow in January.
    Well Hello Boys, Girls and GEO (because depending on which day of the week determines which gender he dresses)

My Man Vaun Cummings talking about the single greatest day of FNF fishing that has ever existed on Dale Hollow or any other body of water. I will put that day up against any other and take our chances right now. If you recall Vaun you came down in the middle of the prior day and I had that 5lb over at the absolute last second of light to boot then we have the Mother of all Days. In my boat, whomever catches the Biggest fish off a particular spot gets is named after him and it stays that name until somebody catches one bigger. I have about a 10 spot milkrun that I make early at first light every morning. Usually the first 3-4 spots will give up a couple of really nice fish the first hour of safe light. But the Day Vaun is talking about January 2, 2010 was the Day that about 6 of these spots were Named Big Vaun then Big Woody then Vaun again …… We had 4 overs with the biggest being 6-13 and probably another 6-8 fish that were in the 19 to 21 range but just fat as a horse and several others that were solid 14 to 19 inch fish. Literally we were calling our shots in that all I was doing was racetracking 6 of my best spots and it seems all 6 were stacked with fish. Our best 5 would have been pushing 25 to 26 lbs. In all my days on the Hollow I never seen or heard of a day like that and I fished it a ton for several years. For you guys learning about the fly just a few common misunderstood facts about the FNF. It is not just for water below 50 degrees, Ive caught many fish on it in 55 degree water. The year John and I won the Billy the water temp was 55 degrees on Friday before the tourney and John and I slayed them, left fish all over the lake, go to the dinner that night and heard how terrible it was. Second, it is not just for suspended fish over deep water. I catch the majority of my fish in depths less than 15 foot with a ten foot leader. third, the FNF can be fished in the grass Just ask anyone that's been in my boat you have to learn what is a grass bite and a fish bite but it can be done and that is where my jig stays about 60 percent of the time. Good Luck

PS Im still alive fellas, just hanging out in a Nashville Hospital right now the count is up to 39 surgeries 44 endoscopies and 2,520 actual days laying in a hospital bed. I guess the man upstairs doesn't want me just yet for September 15 I kicked the bucket for the 4th time but they broke 7 of my ribs doing chest compressions in getting me back, then I laid in an induced coma for 10 days while the family was called in the preacher and all but then I started breathing on my own and I guess it wasn't my time just yet. I will be here for another month or so including rehab. Done forgot how to tie a palomar knot for its been 4 years since I wet a line. I even sold my boat. I appreciate the cards you fellas have sent thanks GEO I know you had a hand in that. Merry Christmas and may Santa Clause bring you all new FNF rods for Christmas.

elnut

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by elnutsmalljaws View Post
    Well Hello Boys, Girls and GEO (because depending on which day of the week determines which gender he dresses)

My Man Vaun Cummings talking about the single greatest day of FNF fishing that has ever existed on Dale Hollow or any other body of water. I will put that day up against any other and take our chances right now. If you recall Vaun you came down in the middle of the prior day and I had that 5lb over at the absolute last second of light to boot then we have the Mother of all Days. In my boat, whomever catches the Biggest fish off a particular spot gets is named after him and it stays that name until somebody catches one bigger. I have about a 10 spot milkrun that I make early at first light every morning. Usually the first 3-4 spots will give up a couple of really nice fish the first hour of safe light. But the Day Vaun is talking about January 2, 2010 was the Day that about 6 of these spots were Named Big Vaun then Big Woody then Vaun again …… We had 4 overs with the biggest being 6-13 and probably another 6-8 fish that were in the 19 to 21 range but just fat as a horse and several others that were solid 14 to 19 inch fish. Literally we were calling our shots in that all I was doing was racetracking 6 of my best spots and it seems all 6 were stacked with fish. Our best 5 would have been pushing 25 to 26 lbs. In all my days on the Hollow I never seen or heard of a day like that and I fished it a ton for several years. For you guys learning about the fly just a few common misunderstood facts about the FNF. It is not just for water below 50 degrees, Ive caught many fish on it in 55 degree water. The year John and I won the Billy the water temp was 55 degrees on Friday before the tourney and John and I slayed them, left fish all over the lake, go to the dinner that night and heard how terrible it was. Second, it is not just for suspended fish over deep water. I catch the majority of my fish in depths less than 15 foot with a ten foot leader. third, the FNF can be fished in the grass Just ask anyone that's been in my boat you have to learn what is a grass bite and a fish bite but it can be done and that is where my jig stays about 60 percent of the time. Good Luck

PS Im still alive fellas, just hanging out in a Nashville Hospital right now the count is up to 39 surgeries 44 endoscopies and 2,520 actual days laying in a hospital bed. I guess the man upstairs doesn't want me just yet for September 15 I kicked the bucket for the 4th time but they broke 7 of my ribs doing chest compressions in getting me back, then I laid in an induced coma for 10 days while the family was called in the preacher and all but then I started breathing on my own and I guess it wasn't my time just yet. I will be here for another month or so including rehab. Done forgot how to tie a palomar knot for its been 4 years since I wet a line. I even sold my boat. I appreciate the cards you fellas have sent thanks GEO I know you had a hand in that. Merry Christmas and may Santa Clause bring you all new FNF rods for Christmas.

elnut
    Glad to see you kickin and POSTING my friend