Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Smoky Mountain Trout

My wife and I will be staying in Pigeon Forge the last week of January. Where would be the best places for me to just wet a line and maybe catch a few trout? The little Pigeon river runs right behind our hotel, but I'm not sure if there are trout in it that far away from the mountains. I'll fish in downtown Gatlinburg if I have to, but I would like to hit up a mountain stream or two.

Any suggestions?
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was in Gatlinburg years ago I saw some big trout in that river in town.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by buickfan70 View Post
    When I was in Gatlinburg years ago I saw some big trout in that river in town.
    I’ve seen some big ones there too. I may give it a try one day.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've caught plenty of fish in this area in the past.

I've caught fish under the skylift, in front of No Way Jose's and some of the best fishing I've done was there all around the Best Western Hotel- Twin Islands. While fishing the last place we caught trout after trout and then a bear came down the stream toward us! Nothing remotely bad happened, but a scary deal given the steep walls in that area. Not exactly an escape route.

Keep in mind if you're in the national park you cannot use live bait. Artificial only.

It's kind of fun fishing in that No Way Jose's area, you can garner quite a crowd up top watching you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlabSlayer859 View Post
    I've caught plenty of fish in this area in the past.

I've caught fish under the skylift, in front of No Way Jose's and some of the best fishing I've done was there all around the Best Western Hotel- Twin Islands. While fishing the last place we caught trout after trout and then a bear came down the stream toward us! Nothing remotely bad happened, but a scary deal given the steep walls in that area. Not exactly an escape route.

Keep in mind if you're in the national park you cannot use live bait. Artificial only.

It's kind of fun fishing in that No Way Jose's area, you can garner quite a crowd up top watching you.
    Thanks a ton for the information!

Is it still single hook, artificial only in those spots you mentioned?

Is the Best Western in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg?

We are staying at a hotel right on the little pigeon river in Pigeon Forge, and I was wondering if the trout would be that far down river.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudypoo4444 View Post
    Thanks a ton for the information!

Is it still single hook, artificial only in those spots you mentioned?

Is the Best Western in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg?

We are staying at a hotel right on the little pigeon river in Pigeon Forge, and I was wondering if the trout would be that far down river.
    I'm not sure exactly where the line is for you to be allowed to use live bait, but I only used flies in those spots.

The Best Western is in downtown Gatlinburg. I have never fished as far down as Pigeon Forge, but have no doubt there are trout there as well. Actually with the colder weather now you may find more of them down in those lower elevations.

Stop into No Way Jose's for a fruity drink and if a long gray haired bartender is working his name is Randy. A few years ago he told me all I could know about fishing the trout there in downtown.

I like to take a smaller light tackle pole with a small selection of baits packed. Park in one of the downtown lots (10 bucks) and you send the wife shopping the strip all day while you catch trout. Definitely buy your license ahead and have it packed though. I've only talked to an officer once while fishing down there, but if you gather enough of a crowd in some of these spots while catching fish they will check on what's going on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fyi guys the Best Western Twin Islands was tore down a couple years ago. They built a Maragaritaville hotel in its place. I loved the Twin Islands hotel. It was neat how it was laid out with the stream running all around it. There are some good sized trout in that area though.

Post Thanks / Like

The city stocks rainbow trout in the Pigeon River.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudypoo4444 View Post
    My wife and I will be staying in Pigeon Forge the last week of January. Where would be the best places for me to just wet a line and maybe catch a few trout? The little Pigeon river runs right behind our hotel, but I'm not sure if there are trout in it that far away from the mountains. I'll fish in downtown Gatlinburg if I have to, but I would like to hit up a mountain stream or two.

Any suggestions?
    There may be some left. Contact the city and ask them where to fish and when they stock the fish. You can see fish in the River or I did the last time I was there. Use some corn in a can for bait as that is what they feed the fish in the fish hatchery before they turn them lose in the river.

There is a good book on Trout Fishing in the Smokey Mountains and it will show you all the different Rivers/streams to fish for various types of trout. I don't have it at this house as it's at my other house. I use to go camping in the Smokey's all the time and always went for trout. Just make sure that if you fish inside the park that you don't use any artificial sents on your baits and use barbless hooks. Expecially if you are fishing near the Ranger Station at Elk Mont Camp Ground.

The trouth are extremely wary and skiddish. I caught a couple of small rainbows but nothing of any size when I fished their. The local bait shops would be a good place to ask for help.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Fly-...52640813&psc=1

This is the book that I bought and used while fishing for trout in the Smokies.
    https://www.amazon.com/Smoky-Mountai...XXENK2X3FAFY2J
    Last edited by Moveon; 12-20-2018 at 06:39 PM.
    Likes Rudypoo4444 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FlippinPhil View Post
    Fyi guys the Best Western Twin Islands was tore down a couple years ago. They built a Maragaritaville hotel in its place. I loved the Twin Islands hotel. It was neat how it was laid out with the stream running all around it. There are some good sized trout in that area though.
    I had wondered. I haven't been down but once since the fires and did not fish that trip. I saw where Margaritaville was going up when I was there the last time and thought it was very near that Best Western. It was a very cool place. Had a room you had to cross a bridge over the creek to get to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the time is almost here. We are leaving for Gatlinburg on Monday morning. My expectations are low, but if I can come back with a couple of pictures of at least a fish or two, I will be very happy.

New Washington, Indiana, The good ole U.S.A..
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last I heard TimT, he used to get on here quite often, is a guide down there. I haven't talked to him in a while, so I'm not sure if he still does it or not.

Jason