Search Fishin.com

Thread: gettin old

Post Thanks / Like

gettin old

i'm gettin old and completely burnt out on bass fishing after almost 40 years.
    even the younger generation that fish get on my nerves.
    they seem to have below average intelligence with an excess load of testosterone and get on my nerves to be around them. deer hunters appear the same.
    love drag racing but can't afford that. golf is boring.
    wish i could find a new hobby.
    any ideas?
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    We collect M1 Garand rifles. When it come to those rifles there's always history to learn, stock sets to clean and refinish, parts to buy and sell and with CMP being in the town of Anniston in my home state of Alabama making a trip to the store to buy rifles gives me an excuse to stop by and visit with friends in my hometown of Gadsden. Those Garands are a blast to shoot too. Ping!
    Likes GeoFisher, Tyme2fish, Bill M of NJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    We collect M1 Garand rifles. When it come to those rifles there's always history to learn, stock sets to clean and refinish, parts to buy and sell and with CMP being in the town of Anniston in my home state of Alabama making a trip to the store to buy rifles gives me an excuse to stop by and visit with friends in my hometown of Gadsden. Those Garands are a blast to shoot too. Ping!
    If you're interested here's a link to the CMP forum. There's a lot of knowledgeable members on there and they are good folks. Most discussions are about Garands but there is some discussion about 1903's, 1911's etc., etc. The discussions are cordial, no politics allowed.

http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php

Post Thanks / Like

Fly tying

I've bought a fly tying vise. You can make actual trout flys, crappie jigs, hair jigs for both bass & striper etc. May take you a while to get burnt out on it. I make my own plastics too, but lately i've been messing with the vise while i've been off for the holidays & have spent a bunch of time looking at videos & learning how to tie. It's actually pretty enjoyable.
    Likes GeoFisher, Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

crappie fishing and shooting semiautomatic pistols

Quote Originally Posted by dragmerc View Post
    i'm getting old and completely burnt out on bass fishing after almost 40 years.
    even the younger generation that fish get on my nerves.
    they seem to have below average intelligence with an excess load of testosterone and get on my nerves to be around them. deer hunters appear the same.
    love drag racing but can't afford that. golf is boring.
    wish i could find a new hobby.
    any ideas?
    thanks
    Yea it ***** getting old. I know what you are talking about.

Thank god for Alcohol!

Happy News Year guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    i hate wine, liquor or being drunk so that's not an option.
    do like a cold beer with a good meal.
    i'm thinking food connoisseur is probably only thing enjoyable for me.
    Likes Moveon, Bill M of NJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Food connoisseur sounds good to me too

i hate wine, liquor or being drunk so that's not an option.
    do like a cold beer with a good meal.
    i'm thinking food connoisseur is probably only thing enjoyable for me.
    I like to cook so that would be a good hobby. I'm cooking for two these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    i like to cook too.
    i'm cursed with extremely sensitive taste.
    i taste stuff most people don't comprehend.
    it might be nice to just feed at the trough like most people that can't taste.
    i have a hard time eating at restaurants while most people are just shoveling it in like it's great.
    and i don't need fancy food. beans and taters 'prepared right' are one of my favorites.
    imagine that, a hard core far right deplorable with same interest as you. lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    i like to cook too.
    i have a hard time eating at restaurants while most people are just shoveling it in like it's great.
    and i don't need fancy food. beans and taters 'prepared right' are one of my favorites.
    imagine that, a hard core far right deplorable with same interest as you. lol.
    If you could see what it looks like in the back where thy cook, prepare and serve people wouldn’t eat out as much. I get disgusted when I go behind the scenes to work.....so far I have not been around one restaurant that is as clean as my kitchen.
    At a recent visit behind the scenes in Lexington....there were flies, fruit flies and unsanitary food prep being done right before my eyes. I will NEVER EVER eat at this place. Sorry about the rant....
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    i like to cook too.
    imagine that, a hardcore far right deplorable with same interest as you. lol.

We all like to eat.

Post Thanks / Like
    went to a new diner today for a hamburger.
    it's a small privately owned old time diner with food prepared as ordered.
    has an old country store decor with antiques, dinner tables, and stools at a bar.
    the place was packed at lunch time.
    everyone raved about how good the food is.
    even had a local tv station espousing how great the food tasted.
    they did use unfrozen meat but didn't season it at all before or while cooking.
    i would rate it average at best only after adding salt and pepper.
    the also bragged about the fries which were nothing but crinkle cut frozen like everyone uses.
    but these were overcooked and completely dried out inside and had very little flavor.
    and i was very hungry so fairly anything should have tasted good.
    like i said, i have a hard time buying prepared food that meets my standards.
    have most people never tasted quality food?
    i still think most people just feed and never taste.

Post Thanks / Like
    went to a new diner today for a hamburger.
    it's a small privately owned old time diner with food prepared as ordered.
    has an old country store decor with antiques, dinner tables, and stools at a bar.
    the place was packed at lunch time.
    everyone raved about how good the food is.
    even had a local tv station espousing how great the food tasted.
    they did use unfrozen meat but didn't season it at all before or while cooking.
    i would rate it average at best only after adding salt and pepper.
    the also bragged about the fries which were nothing but crinkle cut frozen like everyone uses.
    but these were overcooked and completely dried out inside and had very little flavor.
    and i was very hungry so fairly anything should have tasted good.
    like i said, i have a hard time buying prepared food that meets my standards.
    have most people never tasted quality food?
    i still think most people just feed and never taste.
    We have recently been talking about quality steaks and the outrageous cost of some places that claim quality steaks. I can promise you I will not spend $35-$150 on a steak regardless of who prepares it. I will get a hunk of uncut ribeye at Prime grade or choice grade and cut them myself. I have watched videos of how to age the meat as well just in case I want to tackle that.
    The other side of food choices for me is I don't like to salt my food (healthier that way) but I like assorted peppers and spices and much of that mixture is an acquired taste that takes a process of trying different ones to find that blend. I'm not a picky eater but I do like a few foods done right and that's Steak and plain white rice. Americans cook alot of Uncle Bens type of rice and I was raised by a Japanese Mom who cooked "sticky" rice and that's what I cook now as well. HUGE difference!