Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Arriving sat morning leaving wed morning. Idk if anyone has looked at the weather but i feel like someone is looking out for me this trip! The warm up timing couldnt be any better for us. Now just need it to spark those fish and turn this trip in to one we tell stories about for the rest of our lifes.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it were me I would plan to fish very cold water and the things that happen in it. I'd fish smaller bait, look for bait dying and fish spoons jigged off the bottom or Bucktail jigs free falled very slowly. Also look up dead sticking. I don't do it much on Cumberland but i would think hard on it if I were fishing this weekend. Down rods with live bait drifted with no extra movement if you can find schools should work but I don't know if they have broken up or not yet.
    Likes clinchmtnboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! My primary plan is to pull bait but at least 25-50% will be bucktails. I have done really well pulling these in the winter. I like the tti blakemore bucktails with spinner. It looks like a big road runner. I will definitely play with speed and add in S turns sort of playing with the rise and fall of the baits. If i can find some schools definitely will try to sit on them and jig/spoon through them. The trick for me is going to be finding the schools early in trip and then working the adjustments from there. Really hoping the water is not muddy. Last yr was chocolate milk. I had never seen LC like that before. Thanks again i really like your ideas. Almost packed!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just put a spoon on one of my poles. We all have baits in our box that we dont have faith in. The spoon is one for me and it always twist my line up. I put a swivel on with it today. Anyone mind giving the 101 on spoons for LC striper? Thx bg

Post Thanks / Like

spoons..

when i crossed fishing creek bridge today i noticed the surface of the water was icing up. when the creeks freeze on cumberland it is COLDER THAN YOU KNOW WHAT!!

when Duayne was talking about spoons on/near the bottom he is referring to something completely different than jigging spoons in june.
    as he mentioned you will be trying to imitate dying, stunned, lethargic shad instead of the fast moving fleeing frantic bait in warm summer waters.. if you think of winter time "float-n-fly" fishng the name of the game is avoiding over active presentation, appply this mentality to your spoon fishing for stripers in the winter.
    find fish hugging the bottom, drop the spoon until it gets 10 feet from the bottom and slow the fall waaayyy down, gently easing the spoon into the school without spooking the fish with flash and speed. the first thing you want that fish to see is a dying/stunned shad slowly falling to the bottom. very short twitches of the rod tip will simulate the distorted throws of death of the dying baitfish. in water this cold you want to keep it real and keep it slow and give the fish plenty of time to decide to eat. they arent going to chase the spoon very far before just turning away and settling back to the bottom, a quality graph will show this in detail.
    to avoid line twist use a baitcasting reel, use a quality ball bearing swivel and when reeling back up fromt the bottom hold the line just in front of the reel between your forefinger and thumb with moderate pressure , you should mitigate excessive twist from forming.

as far as having confidence in the spoon its an effective lure under the right conditions, one of the main conditions being a tightly packed school of fish , this adds the element of competition and that may be enough to get one fish to go.
    good luck, BE CAREFUL, there is some debris and the water temps are downright dangerous

Post Thanks / Like
    Double triple what Stripernut said. Not all spoons are created equal and different spoons work with different conditions and presentations. I like a tear drop type spoon in .5 oz or .75 for these slower presentations. I used to have some Strike King stamped 3/4 oz spoons that were deadly for this time of year. I cast them out and hold them on a tight line with my rod at 9-10 o'clock. Crank very slowly to slow down the drop and soft twitch some as Stripernut said. If I get to the bottom, I lower to 7 o'clock tighten the line and lift it slowly back to 9-10. Slow twitch and hold cranking very slowly until back on the bottom then repeat. Going to 11 or 12 will give you no room to set the hook on a soft bite. The bite can feel like a bluegill tap. More power to you if they are ripping rods down hard but I wouldn't plan on it. I'd have a rod in my hand no matter if I was using artificial or live bait if it's a soft bite.

A bucktail jig can work as good or better than the spoon worked the same way. My go to is a .5 oz with a plastic split tailed spinner bait trailer on it or no trailer at all. Make sure the buck tail is split evenly on every cast if you aren't using a trailer. Slow falling bucktails split the hair into a V which looks like the fork of the tail from below. The split tailed spinner bait does this too. If it's heavy stain, I start with the trailer. If it's pretty clear or they aren't liking it, I take it off. The bait that dies first is the smaller stuff so this is the time of year where size can matter a lot and bigger isn't always better.

Razor sharp hooks on everything and hook sets are free.

Post Thanks / Like
    All excellent info above! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    The knowledge they share is awesome. Big thanks guys!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got back today. Wifi was out on our section of dock so posting was not an option there. Anyway fishing was brutal. 3.5 days of solid fishing. Pulled planners with shiners and bucktails. Fished pumpkin, greasy, lilly, caney and wolfe creeks. Started in backs and made our way towards mainlake. Lots and lots and lots of debis. The weather was perfect. Minimal rain. Basically none. We caught nothing. Zero. We had no signs of anything really. The depth finder basically showed nothing. Occasionally we saw some fish and bait on radar but not much. I can say there are lots of birds in caney and wolfe about half way back. They get flying and hitting water and we would get all excited so we would set up in area and nothing. We still had a great time with great weather but i have to admit i am disappointed in the fishing results especially considering all the preparation. Oh well get them next time. Thx for you alls help. Bg

Post Thanks / Like

yep kinda slow

i caught 2 keeper stripers and 5 big smallmouth on monday in 3 hours and had one more miss. i know of another boat (duaynes buddy) that had 2 stripes and several misses monday also. all my hits were very soft and tentative. both of us were using live alewives.
    it will continue to be tough for a while with the floods coming in over the next few days and then the temps drop...again. will the "REAL SPRING" please stand up? lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey bsg2121,

LC can be a daunting place this time of year and the fishing can sometimes be as frustrating as the 40 degree temperature swings we have seen in recent weeks. Better times are just around the corner. My only advice when your struggling for 3+ days would be to try dynamite, or follow Stripernut1 and Duayne around and hope to pick up some of their scraps!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    i caught 2 keeper stripers and 5 big smallmouth on monday in 3 hours and had one more miss. i know of another boat (duaynes buddy) that had 2 stripes and several misses monday also. all my hits were very soft and tentative. both of us were using live alewives.
    it will continue to be tough for a while with the floods coming in over the next few days and then the temps drop...again. will the "REAL SPRING" please stand up? lol
    You know i cant help to wonder what you were doing different than me? Location. Speed. Planners. Obviously the bait was different but I usually dont have a problem catching with shiners or bucktails. We had a light out all night and i could of easily caught some alewives. When using alewives do you use a smaller hook? Also what little experience i have with them they seem to die easier on the hook and in the bucket. I feel like i did switch up location and speed unless i almost needed to crawl. We just never found the fish at least on the graph and usually we catch some which also helps locating. Ha. Idk that i can wait another yr for a winter trip. I might have to see if i can figure out a way to go again.