Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

My FRIEND Steve Headrick -One Stop/Punisher Lures

I have been in and out of ICU 5 times, kicked the bucket 3 times, 7 broken ribs from chest compressions on one of the occasions that I tried to fish with Billy Westmoreland, so I have been out of the fishing loop for a good 3 years. I have not talked to Steve or some other fellas that are in the know for some time now. I have been hearing bad things about Steve from some of my fishing buddies that know me very well but have not had the priveledge to share a boat with Steve as much as I have or sat back in his office or kitchen table for 100's of hours talking fishing, family and life in general. I was told some stuff last night that again I didn't think that was in Steve's nature. I called his cell phone and got no answer. So I called the One Stop's office number and got this guy that said some things and I want this post to not be deleted by the moderators so I will stop at that, but he did verify that I still had the right number for Steve. I hung up and called Steve again and this time he answered. Long story short boys and girls, there is a tad bit of truth to what some of you have told me but to seriousness it was not what you think. Steve is not confrontational in the least. He will give you the shirt off his back and his pants too. Yes Steve had back surgery and yes he started having some issues with the prescribed pain medicine to which he realized it so he checked himself into a clinic to get help. 25 years ago long before any of us knew him, he had an issue with Drugs and Alcohol to which he got clean and built a franchise. No there was no additional mortgages on his business to cover the illegal drug use. Yes he sold The One Stop but if I was offered what he got for the One Stop I would have sold it too and helped the new owners move their stuff in.

Bottom line is, Steve is clean - Still married - with the same kids including the cute little red head girl that I was told last night is 5 foot 10 and killing it on the basketball court. Plus I will tell you something else, he still owns Punisher Lures. When you are driving to Celina from Burkesville and you are going down the hill just before you take the curve and actually see The One Stop, look to you right at that big house with the concrete structure being built if the weather will cooperate. That is his new paid cash for house, so he moved about 300 yards and the concrete building will be the home of Punisher Lures on one side and a bait and tackle shop on the other. To which I'm now a part of after last nights phone call so I'm asking nicely that if you don't know the whole story please don't say stuff by guessing. Steve has went out of his way to help each and every one of us. We owe him the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks elnutsmalljaws

Post Thanks / Like
    I was never aware of any of those rumors and I’m glad the man is on track. Everything else you’ve said reconfirmed what he told me in person last winter when I stopped in the One Stop for a pizza and he and his wife were packing up the tackle and gear. I was shocked that he sold but happy for him and his family. He remembered me from when you introduced me to him many years ago and we spoke about you. Since the trip to end all trips we had in 2010 I only saw him a couple of times in the store over the years and he always remembered me. I ordered flies and fish dope from the Punisher website before this season but I’m not sure if the flies were from leftover stock or if he still is manufacturing currently. On a side note, and only in my opinion, I went by the One Stop this year and the tackle side is barren and sad and they don’t sell any of his products. I always enjoyed fiddling with rods, going up and down each aisle a bunch of times, and buying gear there when I was waiting for my pizza to cook. Shame that the dude you spoke to seemingly had unkind words about the Guru. I think from now on I’ll head to Burkesville for a pizza from the Hut.

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard about him a long time ago with the issue he had with the pain meds. He's a good guy, I've talked to him many times when I'd be getting breakfast at the One Stop and at the Louisville Boat Show a long time ago. Good to hear that he's doing well!

Kind of weird this came up, I'm updating my photo albums in my profile, on the Dale Hollow pics now....

Thanks for the update.
    Likes GeoFisher, MagikSmallie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

punisher...

i used to just drive to celina (not far from home ) to just grab a handful of what i needed. and then it seemed like the stocks and assortment dwindled. i had no idea why at the time.
    i use the float n fly and variations of it almost year round on cumberland, basically anytime fish are suspended, theres no rule that says you cant pick up the action in warmer water, its a kentucky bass killer anytime of year.
    but after a couple trips to the one stop and not being able to get what i wanted i started getting flies from a local guy in jamestown and they worked ok. but i noticed his flies looked a lot like the spro phat fly but the spro had a much sharper hook. i am hooked, its a super fly for kys , trout and just devastating on white bass.
    i am glad to hear the steve is coninuing the punisher product because i like that fly and some days you need to mix it up to get em started on something.
    good update on the guy, i iwish him well

Post Thanks / Like
    I stopped at one stop last fall to get some ice. I asked the girl at the counter if punisher lure was still in business. A voice from behind me said I am the owner of punisher lure company and yes I am still in business and I am constructing a building next to my house.
    I asked him what the fish were doing and he wanted to know if I had a map so we went to the car and he marked some places for us to try and told me what they were biting on.

Very accommodating
    Likes GeoFisher, Bardcard liked this post