Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Green River Lake Tailwaters.

The weather seems like it will warm up a bit on Monday with nice cloud cover. I was looking to head out the the tailwater since the CFS today was at about 400. The only other time that I've been water was roaring out of the splashbox and fishing was basically impossible. Any tips on what to fish there, or species that typically hang around there this time of year? I was assuming Sauger and Walleye (which I've never actually caught before), and any tips on those or any other fish would be very appreciated. I live in Lexington, so if there are any recommendations on a closer area with nice Sauger or Eye fishing that would be awesome too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Purely speculation on my part but I predict the spillway will be a rolling pretty good come Monday...here is why I say that. Currently the lake is 677.62 which is 2.62 ft over summer pool. Winter pool is 668 so the lake is 9.62 ft over the target water level they want. We have not had any rain for the last 2-3 days but the lake is still on a slight rise. Per corps site it rose a little over 1/2 ft from Friday/Saturday. I drove over the tailwater today (saturday) and I was surprised to see very little current. I bet they open up the gate very soon...again pure speculation on my part. I don't know what's going on downstream towards the Ohio or Mississippi but if they're in good shape then they will start pulling Green ASAP.

As for fishing the tail water I have zero experience, however I have a coworker that often fishes there for walleye late winter and early spring. I ask him just the other day if he had been walleye fishing the Green tailwaters and his comment was "it's a little early but it won't be long before they start running". Based on some conversations we have had in the past I want to say he told me if the outflow was 800 or so cfs he had issues fishing the box and would go downstream and fish near the lower parking lot/bathroom area but if it was 1500 cfs or more then that was too much current to fish even if he went downstream a few hundred yards from the dam. I might be wrong on the outflow number he told me that was too much current but that is the number I think I recall him saying.

I am not trying to discourage you. I have not been on the water in a few weeks and I am getting the itch. If I wanted to go then I would go but I am only 5 miles from the lake so me wasting a trip is a lot different than you driving from Lexington.
    Likes Mckay L liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Not discouraging at all, I can check the CFS in the morning before I leave to make sure it's not releasing at too high of a rate. The tips for the general timing were also helpful. It is a bit early I suppose but the weather seems right, I'll have to hope for the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    They catch a lot of good crappie down there to. Most people i know go downstream to fish. They catch the eyes slow rolling grubs on a leadhead but take plenty, youll lose a bunch. Im sure you can catch crappie on a jig or minnow under a bobber. Call the corps and theyll tell ya if theyre gonna open the dam up that day