Search Fishin.com

Thread: life jackets

Post Thanks / Like

life jackets

Looks like all the pros are fishing illegally becuase they all have inflatable life jackets they are taking off while fishing by law the must wear them at all times

Post Thanks / Like
    I can only speak about KY law because that is what I am familiar with and this is how I understand it...You must have enough Type I or Type II or Type II life jackets onboard so every person will have one. You must have at least one Type IV (throwable flotation device) if the boat is over (I can't remember either 15 or 16 ft) long. All life jackets and throwable device must be readily available in the event of an emergency. You do not have to wear it but it is suggested. HOWEVER if the only lifejackets you have are Type III then it must be worn all the time to be legal. Also children 12 and under must wear a lifejacket when the boat is moving but for adults it is optional but suggested. I "think" commercial water requires a lifejacket to be worn at all times even if its a Type I or Type II but I am not sure about that hence the word "think".

So in KY I can wear my Type III and take it off as long as I have a Type I or Type II in my possession and easily accessible in a storage locker. I know that sounds strange but that's the way I understand how it works. I would say this is what your seeing.
    Likes gofishdave, CaptObvious liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Only places I have seen in Ky where I have had to wear one by requirement was up near a dam where discharge water is coming out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Inflatable life jackets must be worn at all times unless a regular usgg approved life jacket is out on deck

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvtohunt View Post
    Only places I have seen in Ky where I have had to wear one by requirement was up near a dam where discharge water is coming out.
    How about going through a lock...I might be wrong but I think you have to wear one anytime your in a lock but I might be wrong. I don't really think about when I have too because I always wear my Type III inflatable anytime I am on my boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R19 View Post
    How about going through a lock...I might be wrong but I think you have to wear one anytime your in a lock but I might be wrong. I don't really think about when I have too because I always wear my Type III inflatable anytime I am on my boat.
    Not sure on that one, never been through one myself. Just know there are always signs posted just below any dam I have ever fished near. I have been checked on many lakes and as long as they are accessible in a compartment there are no issues. At least that is what the CO has said each time I have been checked on the water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by davidm View Post
    Inflatable life jackets must be worn at all times unless a regular usgg approved life jacket is out on deck
    Can you provide a source for this information? It would be very important to several members on here since the general consensus differs from what you’re saying the law is. I’m sure a lot of us would like to stay above the law regarding life vests.

Post Thanks / Like
    Information straight from the Ky Boaters guide regarding locks.
    personal floatation device (lifejacket)
    upstream of danger signs and open-diamond buoys or within 150 feet of the
    downstream lock and dam wall.
    __________________________________________________ _________
    So it isn't in the locks where vests are required. It is below regardless if you are locking through or not.

Information regarding accessibility:
    __________________________________________________ __
    Accessibility: PFDs must be readily
    available for immediate use by all
    occupants of a vessel. It is advisable
    for each person to try on their PFD
    before departing so that they are familiar with the fastening devices and
    to assure it is adjusted to the person.
    PFDs shouldn’t be stored in the
    plastic bags in which they were sold.
    This limits access and can promote
    rotting.
    __________________________________________________ ________

This does not say they have to be on the deck. I've been through coast guard checks where they fully expected me to pull them from an available hatch but they were actually hanging in plain sight and they didn't expect it.

(301 KAR 6:020 Sect. 4); KRS 235.203
    For each person onboard a vessel,
    federal as well as state law requires a
    Type I, II, or III personal flotation device (PFD) on all boats. Boats 16 feet
    and over, except canoes and kayaks, must
    also carry one Type IV throwable PFD.
    Operators and passengers of personal
    watercraft must wear a PFD. Persons
    under 12 years of age must wear a PFD
    while in the open part of a boat that is
    under way.
    __________________________________________________ ______

Oddly, they do not cover inflatables. But it's my understanding those only count when worn. You could have a standard device stored, not wear your inflatable, and still be legal.

Here are the regulations for those interested.
    https://fw.ky.gov/Fish/Documents/18-...hing_guide.pdf
    Likes Tyme2fish liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Correct

Quote Originally Posted by R19 View Post
    I can only speak about KY law because that is what I am familiar with and this is how I understand it...You must have enough Type I or Type II or Type II life jackets onboard so every person will have one. You must have at least one Type IV (throwable flotation device) if the boat is over (I can't remember either 15 or 16 ft) long. All life jackets and throwable device must be readily available in the event of an emergency. You do not have to wear it but it is suggested. HOWEVER if the only lifejackets you have are Type III then it must be worn all the time to be legal. Also children 12 and under must wear a lifejacket when the boat is moving but for adults it is optional but suggested. I "think" commercial water requires a lifejacket to be worn at all times even if its a Type I or Type II but I am not sure about that hence the word "think".

So in KY I can wear my Type III and take it off as long as I have a Type I or Type II in my possession and easily accessible in a storage locker. I know that sounds strange but that's the way I understand how it works. I would say this is what your seeing.
    This is correct but I do not think there is a distinction between commercial water vs. non commercial. Same PFD regs for both.

I am by no way an LEO for the KYDFW, but I have read the rules/regs enough to be familiar with them. Here is a link to where I get my info:

https://fw.ky.gov/FishBoatGuide/Pages/Boating.aspx#6

I have a Type III auto-inflatable PFD that I keep attached to the kill switch at all times while I'm on the water. I simply take the PFD off when I get to my fishing spot and put it back on before I take off. I have been checked by the Coast Guard and fish/wildlife officers in multiple states and once I showed them a Type I or II life jacket in my boat, they were fine.

Now if I can get my Father to get a new fire extinguisher for his boat, we'd be all set!!