Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Nice day Sunday - Trout in Louisville?

Where is a good place to fish for trout in Louisville. I saw a couple places stock them (William Miles, Cherokee, Fisherman’s Park) ... where is the best place? I’m assuming trout is the best thing to go for right now - correct?

I would like to take my son tomorrow and just didn’t know best place

Post Thanks / Like
    If you should come up with the time, a good memorable place to take him would be Hatchery Creek below Wolf Creek dam. As far as Louisville, I have no idea. Lots of luck
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Trout?

Otter Creek?

Post Thanks / Like
    cherokee park is easy. if your just looking for stocker size trout. I live near by, I bass fish there on my way home a far amount, with little luck usually. I see alot of stocker trout come out of the concrete slab corner of the pond on mice tail, and powerbait corn.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Cherokee Park and William F. Miles lakes were still frozen over today, so we didn’t get to fish for trout. Bummer.

Post Thanks / Like

hatchery creek

hey just a heads up before you make a long drive. due to the recent govt shut down the portion immediately down from the outflow from the hatchery had not received it's normal stockings for weeks. the creek was severely fished out during this period. friends of mine that work at the hatchery were working very hard to maintain the hatchery and keep the trout healthy through the shutdown period.
    now that the shutdown is over they hope to resume the normal stocking schedule as soon as possible. you might want to save some gas for a short while until all gets back to normal.
    Likes Wormin, CaptObvious liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    hey just a heads up before you make a long drive. due to the recent govt shut down the portion immediately down from the outflow from the hatchery had not received it's normal stockings for weeks. the creek was severely fished out during this period. friends of mine that work at the hatchery were working very hard to maintain the hatchery and keep the trout healthy through the shutdown period.
    now that the shutdown is over they hope to resume the normal stocking schedule as soon as possible. you might want to save some gas for a short while until all gets back to normal.

Thx stripernut. I’m heading down there with my brother and friend in a couple hours. Whether we catch anything or not, I’m sure we’ll have a good time. I haven’t had a fishing pole in my hand for at least 2 months. Hopefully in a couple weeks I’ll be able to get the boat out and head to Dale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update on that trip to Hatchery Creek, Monday February 4th. We limited out and I caught my personal best rainbow. It took us longer to get there because they were deep cleaning the troughs in the hatchery. While we were cleaning our trout at the fish cleaning station, one of the hatchery workers came by and I asked him if they were playing catch-up from the shut down. He informed me he and others continued to work. Had they not, all the trout would’ve died, which made sense. There seemed to be the usual number in the creek to me. That day we just had to put up with smell and all the gunk coming from the cleaning

Post Thanks / Like
    whew! it gets rank for sure when the are cleaning the race ways. glad you still caught them in that mess. yeah that's what I was saying earlier, if they hadn't continued to maintain the hatchery and care for and feed the trout it would've been bad stuff. but they did not continue to stock the creek as it wasn't considered to be vital to the overall condition of the hatchery. those folks deserve a lot of credit for being dedicated and caring for those fish and looking out for the future of the fishery. I know all of them and it doesn't surprise me, fine people
    Likes CaptObvious liked this post