Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Battery Question??

What do you fellas have the best success with as far as trolling motor batteries go? I have always just purchased a decent deep cycle from walmart with high hours but seems like I have at least one in my 24 volt system die each year. So I am getting a max of 2 years out of a battery, usually less. I fish all year so they rarely go uncharged. All thoughts appreciated. Thanks fellas.

Post Thanks / Like
    I buy the Walmart batteries too. I keep my batteries on a battery tender year round when I’m not in my boat. With that said, I usually replace my Walmart batteries by year 4 because I start noticing a weakness. I use Walmart for the ease of returning a battery should I get a bad one. Until I started using a tender, my batteries would last maybe 2 years. Freezing cold is hard on an uncharged or weak battery

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had really good success with Interstate on my last two sets. Getting 3 yrs and fish quite a bit, but they are in a garage so they don't have a chance to freeze and I always immediately keep a charge on them when off the water. Keep the cells filled as well periodically to make sure they don't get low.
    (just my 2 cents)
    Likes CaptObvious liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is garage kept. I typically charge them after I fish. Guess I will just have to invest in a good tender!! That way I can plug it in and leave it.
    Likes CaptObvious liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvtohunt View Post
    Mine is garage kept. I typically charge them after I fish. Guess I will just have to invest in a good tender!! That way I can plug it in and leave it.
    Yeah, a good digital onboard charger is a good investment. (especially if you travel and dock your boat in a slip overnight)

One with 10A per lead will charge the battery up quickly, & then maintain the charge as long as it's hooked up. Just keep an eye on the fluid level every few weeks, and add distilled water to a fully charged battery whenever the fluid level gets low. Just don't fill each cell up into the fill hole. You want the level to be just below that, so that the acid won't "bubble" out under the cap.

My Everstart 29DC batteries are going on 3yrs old & still strong.
    My Everstart 24 starting battery is going on 7yrs old & still strong (but will be replaced this year)
    I charge them with a Minn-Kota 220 onboard charger (& when it dies, I will replace it with a digital model)

And FWIW ... I don't leave the batteries hooked up to the onboard charger all the time ... I just charge them up "at least" once a month when not in use, and after every trip.

Post Thanks / Like

long life batteries

I bought Cabelas AGM batteries over 5 yrs. ago. I keep them on charge 24/7 all year long. they're a more money when you buy them, but you can get a couple days fishing out of a full charge and they've lasted longer than any other batteries I've had in my 21' boat with a 24v Fortrex motor.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I would stay away from Interstates...

I've got (4) NorthStar/X2 AGM 31 series in mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t use “Neverstarts” from Wally World.

Bought them for years and have had horrible luck. Invested in Optima blue tops and will never look back. They are expensive but worth the money. If you want decent “cheap” batteries try RURAL King. Just my opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    put battery switches on all batteries.
    charge fully after each use then disconnect charger and turn off switches.
    your batteries will last longer and you won't burn your garage down.
    chargers fail not to mention wasted electricity.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's not actually right. good chargers charge the battery up to full charge, then shut themselves off of charge and switch to maintenance mode and only come back on when the battery discharges itself, from use or sitting, usually 2v's. A simple way to find out what's happening with your charger and batteries is to take a volt meter and watch what happens when the charger cuts on and off. I've heard a lot of good things about Opitma batteries, but like everything else in marine products, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

Post Thanks / Like
    tell that to my buddy that burned his garage down.
    chargers can fail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Believe it or not my boat trolling battery is from 2007 and it still works good knock on wood have no idea of the brand it was in the boat when I bought it