Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Depressed-Old-Lazy?

I’m 52 and a long time hunter and fisherman. I have a basstracker and a number of kayaks.
    The last year I’ve lost my mojo about both. I read and think about doing both but can’t get up energy to actually get out. Hunted twice. Got a nice buck but that’s just good luck. Anyone else go through this. Last fishing trip on the Cumberland River kind of scared me. Came close to sinking the boat when I got caught sideways on a log. I want to get over this. 52 seems too young to retire from outdoors.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think we all go thru those cycles. For me the first thing I do is remind myself it’s okay to be temporarily burned out on these activities. Next, I deliberately get involved with other projects to complete and get my confidence and sense of accomplishment back . And when I do decide to take a trip, I make it a simple, easy to do, and short first couple deals. Above and beyond all, take it easy. We all go thru dry spells. 👍

Post Thanks / Like
    I think we all get those feelings. I know for sure I do now that the long days are getting shorter and I cant get out cause its too cold! Im 80 now and just cant take the cold like I did when I was younger. Soon spring will be here, the bass will be hitting top water lures, the crappie will be slurping up the pretty jigs and the bluegill will be jumpin in the boat! As some wise person once said, "This too shall pass".

Post Thanks / Like

You are not alone in feeling that way

Quote Originally Posted by huntingteacher View Post
    I’m 52 and a long time hunter and fisherman. I have a basstracker and a number of kayaks.
    The last year I’ve lost my mojo about both. I read and think about doing both but can’t get up energy to actually get out. Hunted twice. Got a nice buck but that’s just good luck. Anyone else go through this. Last fishing trip on the Cumberland River kind of scared me. Came close to sinking the boat when I got caught sideways on a log. I want to get over this. 52 seems too young to retire from outdoors.
    I'm 68 and don't hunt or fish anymore. Just don't feel safe. I don't have the energy to get out anymore. I have been going though cancer treatments and it's sapped all my energy.

Post Thanks / Like
    take a break from it. go do other things. travel to places without taking a boat or fishing poles, eat good food, see the sights.
    and then all of a sudden you will be driving through "somewhere usa" and you will pass a lake with stickups and lilly pads and think to yourself "oh man if i just had my boat with me". and bingo there you go.

i did the same thing about 5 years ago, i sold every boat i own, every rod, reel, hook, lure, fishing line, net, black light and on and on, when the buyer left my driveway i couldnt have went bluegill fishing.
    the thought of walking out on that dock to fish made me want to throw up.

and then i found myself looking at new boats, and waking up with nothing to do in the mornings.

if i may give a little advice, just enjoy the days we are given. i admit i am ocd and very driven to catch fish, but i am now just thankful and content to get to go in the first place. health issues will eventually keep me on shore, but for now i am thankful to be able to walk out on that dock every morning.

good luck to you, ive been there, its tough and confusing
    Likes riverrat12, charley2 liked this post