Search Fishin.com

Thread: Livebait?

Post Thanks / Like

Livebait?

I’m always fascinated how many different species of fish, and how often I catch fish using just shrimp in saltwater. I want to try live bait for freshwater but don’t know where to start. Besides what you get at wally world, where else can you get live bait around Lexington? What works well? What is your technique? I’m thinking I might try it places like Corinth, deep slow parts of Elkhorn, Ky River, WIlgreen, Beaver Etc. I can get a cheap live well to work on my kayak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on the time of year and what I'm fishing for I use shad, minnows, bluegill, crawfish, and night crawlers. All target different species of fish at a certain time and some will catch most anything. I typically catch my own. I will buy crappie minnows though. As far as places around Lexington, I couldn't say. I would think any local bait shop would have some of what was mentioned and you can learn to catch the rest with practice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Far as I know :

Backwaters in Lex has minnows

PDQ Market "used to have minnows" ... but, not sure if they still carry them

Walmart carries - waxworms, mealworms, red wigglers, nightcrawlers

(I'm almost totally an "artificial bait angler", so I rarely buy "live bait" or I'd be of more help)