Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Battery/Trolling Motor/Depth Finder Question

I want to get a depth finder for my 10’ jon boat. Rather than purchase a portable unit, I would like to get one that runs off a 12V battery. Weight is an issue. If I run the depth finder off the same battery I use for the 55 lb. thrust, 12V trolling motor, will interference be a problem? If so, anyway to eliminate or minimize it?
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats how I used my 12 volt system on my Jon boat. No problems at all.
    I have recently changed it because I wanted the extra weight in the back to help level out the boat. So now I have 2 batteries is parallel to give me twice the amps but stay at 12 Volts and a 3 battery for lights and depth finder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Thats how I used my 12 volt system on my Jon boat. No problems at all.
    I have recently changed it because I wanted the extra weight in the back to help level out the boat. So now I have 2 batteries is parallel to give me twice the amps but stay at 12 Volts and a 3 battery for lights and depth finder.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a 42# thrust Motorguide and have tied my DF's into its wiring & not had any interference. Used to have a Lowrance Elite 5DSI, and now have a Hook 7.

I have heard some of my Crappie guys mention interference and that there are "resistors" (ferrite core suppressors ?) made for that purpose, and there were some suggestions of "twisted pair cable" wiring being a possible help. I haven't had interference problems, so I haven't researched any further into those suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    I've got a 42# thrust Motorguide and have tied my DF's into its wiring & not had any interference. Used to have a Lowrance Elite 5DSI, and now have a Hook 7.

I have heard some of my Crappie guys mention interference and that there are "resistors" (ferrite core suppressors ?) made for that purpose, and there were some suggestions of "twisted pair cable" wiring being a possible help. I haven't had interference problems, so I haven't researched any further into those suggestions.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I had my 10' pond boat I used 2 motorcycle batteries, One for my depth finder and one for my 30lb. trolling motor. It would normally last the whole day I would fish Benji Kenman (I Would recommend having a paddle along) LOL

Post Thanks / Like

crappiepappy

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post

I used paver electronics cables that had 1 positive & 1 negative in there own insulated sheaths to keep them seperated with another insulated sheath around them. I also soldered & heat shrinked every wire loop & the fusible link that i hooked directly to the starting battery & i have never had 1 ounce of interference. This same exact wiring is now on a humminbird helix 9, but i used it on a 597 hd di & a 798 ci si & all have been at the trolling motor so that's 3 different units & it has worked great.