I’m hoping for an early spring here on the Indian River Backcountry and Mosquito Lagoon at New Smyrna Beach, water temperatures still chilly around 60’ F but warm daytime temps up to 80’ as of now in late February 2019 should raise the water temps soon and bring on spring fishing patterns a little early this year. I’m already seeing schools of Glass Minnow baitfish which is one of the first signs of spring in the Intracoastal Waterway, Mullet, Pilchards, and Sardines should soon follow along with our migratory game fish Bluefish,Pompano, Jack Crevalle, and Ladyfish which should arrive in big schools soon on their northward spring time path making for lots offun fast action from all these hard pulling surface action fish. Our local resident fish will also become more active as water temps climb, Seatrout, Black Drum, Sheepshead, Redfish, Snook, Mangrove Snapper and more with all the big variety of fish species here in our inshore saltwater lagoon system. Dawn from Maryland out with me recently with a nice winter Black Drum which we CPR’d,catch-photo-release ……………………

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	February2019DawnDrum.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	203.4 KB 
ID:	18290

Winter and early spring is always Sheepshead time, they are a chilly water fish, and eat primarily crustaceans so our shrimp baits are to their liking, Nicky from Maine with a good one ………………….

Name:	February2019NickySheepshead.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	161.1 KB 
ID:	18291

Never know what surprise catches will bite here in the back waters, Liz from California got a big kick with a big battle and photo with a fun Shark …………………….

Name:	February2019LizShark.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	18292

Black Drum are one of the staple backcountry good fish here, fun hard pullers and make for great photos, Longtime regular client Mike from Ohio with another nice one …………………….

Name:	February2019MikeDrum.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	18293

Linda from Indiana also showing off a good winter Black Drum from a recent trip ………………..

Name:	February2019LindaDrum.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	18294

Redfish can be more of a challenge now days to catch here, but we still do catch a few, even I get to catch a fish sometimes, me with a fun size Red on artificial lure ………………

Name:	February2019CaptMikeRed.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	18295

We do catch a few Snook, since we are in the very northern part of their range since they are a sub tropical fish and can’t handle a freeze during the winter so the numbers are still rebuilding after our last freeze about a year ago, Ray with a fun little Snook on a recent trip………………..

Name:	February2019RaySnook.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	18296

Fun Friendly Light Tackle Fishing Adventures
Closest Saltwater Fishing to Orlando at New Smyrna Beach
Calm Water Indian River Backcountry
CHILDREN ALWAYS WELCOME – FAIR PRICES

CALL OR TEXT ME ANYTIME 386-689-3781
https://EdgewaterRiverGuide.com/orlando-fishing-guide

Capt.Michael Savedow