Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Paris considering banning summer tourneys on KY Lake.

Interesting Read:

https://www.wired2fish.com/news/stat...kentucky-lake/

I don't fish tourneys, but I know a lot who do.......I can tell you I've see the floaters. A TON of times, and I do believe lots of fish die in these summer tourneys.
    Likes DogFood, Moveon, Bobby Headrick liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Major League Fishing does it right not a fan of other styles.
    Likes Bobby Headrick, jcb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Catch and release from deep water in summertime=Bad

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Interesting Read:

https://www.wired2fish.com/news/stat...kentucky-lake/

I don't fish tourneys, but I know a lot who do.......I can tell you I've seen the floaters. A TON of times, and I do believe lots of fish die in these summer tourneys.
    I think that you are right. There is no way that a big fish can survive well if it's caught in cold deep water with plenty of dissolved oxygen and then put in a tank of warmer water in a bass boat and kept there for hours until the weight in and then let loose. Just handling the fish removed the slime coating and allows bacteria to get though the slime coating. It's not normal to see all those big fish floating on top of the water after a big tournament.

Closing the lake to tournaments would be a good idea especially in the hot summer months of June, July, and August. IMHO

Post Thanks / Like

Most tournament guys use livewell additives

Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    I think that you are right. There is no way that a big fish can survive well if it's caught in cold deep water with plenty of dissolved oxygen and then put in a tank of warmer water in a bass boat and kept there for hours until the weight in and then let loose. Just handling the fish removed the slime coating and allows bacteria to get though the slime coating. It's not normal to see all those big fish floating on top of the water after a big tournament.

Closing the lake to tournaments would be a good idea especially in the hot summer months of June, July, and August. IMHO
    Please release me, g juice etc. work very well. You don't see many dead fish in the tournaments i fish. I know it happens, but most bass fishermen have very good livewell systems, add ice when needed & use livewell additives religiously. How about striper fishermen catching them deep in summer. I personally striper fish at night in spring, but the first one that dies on me & i'm done until next spring.I also never keep a fish. I wonder how many of you guys can say that? Everyone finds fault in tournament fishermen, when most times they take better care of fish then striper, crappie, walleye, catfish or pretty much any other fishermen. It's not like we're eating them. Practice what you preach goes a long way or atleast should in my opinion. Personally i'd like to see three fish limits in the warm months, but a lot of guys are afraid the average fishermen will catch 3 & take the money they're suppose to win with a 5 fish limit.
    Likes Bobby Headrick liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t fish tournaments but just for the pleasure of fishing. I don`t really see any thing wrong with tournaments for one reason they are good for the business and a lot of pleasure for all the guys that like fishing them. But I do think they should be limited to a certain number of tournaments each week. If you check it out there will probably be a tournament just about every night through the week on some of the lakes and that is a lot of fish being caught and released for sure. I think they should be only a tournament once a week and let it be a Friday night tournament and let it go all night long to next morning. What do think guys? Lets here some HIP HIP ARAYS!

Post Thanks / Like

A buddy reminded me of this

Speaking of all the summer time deep water fish caught & survival rates i have caught & weighed in the same exact smallmouth in 3 different tournaments. How do i know this? Because it had a very recognizable scar on it's side & a black spot right in front of it's dorsal fin. I will admit i haven't caught it again, but i haven't fished this spot, but twice last summer & never caught anything there because the fish had relocated about 100 yards further down the bank after the water level changed & they moved to another ledge. Like i said i know some die, but when handled right & by using ice & good livewell additives & knowing how to fizz fish( which i think is a big reason for fish dying) i don't think the mortality rate is nearly as bad as some think it is.