Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Northern KY Lake suggestion for July - Boats needed too!!!

Hey everyone. I am up in Michigan and have a group of friends and their kids that do a lot of fishing up here. We traditionally have a big fishing trip together once or twice a year, usually in Northern Michigan. I grew up in Winchester, KY and moved to Michigan before high school and loved fishing down there. We decided to make a trip down to KY this year in July.

I am looking for a couple of things.

1. Place to stay. We typically camp, usually on the water up here and would like to do the same. Combo of Pop up campers and tents.

2. Boat access. None of us have boats(we do have a couple fishing kayaks) so we would need to rent boats. What has worked for us most of the time is finding a fishing camp or something similar that has boat rentals. The last two places had pontoon rentals(older pontoons that were basically fishing platforms). We bring our own trolling electrics to get in and out of coves, etc. This works better as most Marina based boat rentals are pretty expensive.

3. ***Bonus - river access. A couple of us fly fish and wouldn't mind being near a river we can wade. Not necessary, but would be nice.

Our group size is 8-15. We would be staying for 3 days and fishing 4 days(Thursday - Sunday). Would be open to any lakes, but figured we would try northern first since it is a bit less of a drive.

We typically target Large/Smallmouth Bass, Pike, Musky, Crappie, Panfish. Most of us are catch and release, but a few may look for Walleye. We also will look for Trout if possible(river).

Of course not looking for specific fishing spots, etc., but would love any suggestions as to places to stay, lakes to check out in general, or campground/fish camps to check into.

Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lacotomo View Post
    Hey everyone. I am up in Michigan and have a group of friends and their kids that do a lot of fishing up here. We traditionally have a big fishing trip together once or twice a year, usually in Northern Michigan. I grew up in Winchester, KY and moved to Michigan before high school and loved fishing down there. We decided to make a trip down to KY this year in July.

1. Place to stay. We typically camp, usually on the water up here and would like to do the same. Combo of Pop up campers and tents.

2. Boat access. None of us have boats(we do have a couple fishing kayaks) so we would need to rent boats. What has worked for us most of the time is finding a fishing camp or something similar that has boat rentals. The last two places had pontoon rentals(older pontoons that were basically fishing platforms). We bring our own trolling electrics to get in and out of coves, etc. This works better as most Marina based boat rentals are pretty expensive.

3. ***Bonus - river access. A couple of us fly fish and wouldn't mind being near a river we can wade. Not necessary, but would be nice.

Our group size is 8-15. We would be staying for 3 days and fishing 4 days(Thursday - Sunday). Would be open to any lakes, but figured we would try northern first since it is a bit less of a drive.

We typically target Large/Smallmouth Bass, Pike, Musky, Crappie, Panfish. Most of us are catch and release, but a few may look for Walleye. We also will look for Trout if possible(river).

Of course not looking for specific fishing spots, etc., but would love any suggestions as to places to stay, lakes to check out in general, or campground/fish camps to check into.

Thanks for the help!

From what amenities that you are looking for in a lake in northern Ky, I can’t think of any that would be of any size that would help. Elmer Davis in Owen county has camping area I believe and maybe some rental boats that might be affordable. Been a long time since I’ve been there. Kincaid lake in Pendleton county maybe. Cave Run around the Morehead Ky area probably has everything that you’re looking for. Affordable boats, I’d say that time of year, their boat at the marinas are in demand. 2 marinas. 2 nice campgrounds. Some of their campsites are right on the water. No trout or pike in Cave Run that I know of. Got everything else though. For trout in that general area, you’d have to go to Red River Gorge. Send me a PM if I can be of further help. Someone else might chime in with better info. Lots of luck and hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t know of any lake in northern ky that has what you’re asking for. None of them have big marinas that rent boats. I know it’s farther than northern ky, but have you looked at Reelfoot Lake in TN? It’s a real shallow lake that is known for its crappie, bluegill, and catfish. Several places on the lake offer package deals that include lodging, bait, and boats.
    Likes CaptObvious, lacotomo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    I don’t know of any lake in northern ky that has what you’re asking for. None of them have big marinas that rent boats. I know it’s farther than northern ky, but have you looked at Reelfoot Lake in TN? It’s a real shallow lake that is known for its crappie, bluegill, and catfish. Several places on the lake offer package deals that include lodging, bait, and boats.
    Reelfoot has always reminded me of the "northern fishcamps" that have the cabin/boat rental "american pkgs". Good call

Post Thanks / Like

Trip

Quote Originally Posted by lacotomo View Post

Thanks for the help!

Sorry to ask, but why would u travel so far away from your northern amazing fisheries? Ill catch more fish in one day on lake erie or saint clair than i will catch all year in nky. Lakr st claur is an amazing fishery that has shallow bays and creeks for fly fishing. The only negative is that its hard to find camping on american side. July is hot month and humid which makes things more difficult, especially for kids.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by striperfishin View Post
    Sorry to ask, but why would u travel so far away from your northern amazing fisheries? Ill catch more fish in one day on lake erie or saint clair than i will catch all year in nky. Lakr st claur is an amazing fishery that has shallow bays and creeks for fly fishing. The only negative is that its hard to find camping on american side. July is hot month and humid which makes things more difficult, especially for kids.

Noted. We fish quite a bit up here and we were looking to branch out to other areas. I lived in KY(Winchester) for 6 years growing up and my dad and I loved fishing all over the state. We would go to different lakes every weekend. We have a couple weekend trips up here already (Manistee River, Fletcher's Floodwaters this year) and we fish Lake St. Clair a lot(Love to hunt muskie there too).

I figured someone would know of a place that had everything we look for - that they liked. When we fish Fletcher's up here, there are 3 campgrounds on the lake, and each of them has sites, and boats. Fishing boats, or older pontoons to rent. With a larger group, those rentals are preferrable to going to a big marina with bigger costs...lol.

I have found that these types of places are better found through word of mouth than online.

I will look into some of the suggestions here, but of course am open to lots of other suggestions too, any part of KY honestly.

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cave Run Lake
    Scott Creek Marina
    Twin Knobs Camp Ground
    Everything you are requesting, just Google...........
    Likes lacotomo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CousinWilbur View Post
    Cave Run Lake
    Scott Creek Marina
    Twin Knobs Camp Ground
    Everything you are requesting, just Google...........

Thanks, was hoping for some places that people have used/know/like. I can Google all day, but the information isn't always the best.

Cave Run Lake does look decent though. We muskie fish too up here in the St. Clair.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

You can also fish the Licking River tail waters below the Cave Run dam. Wade fish, (fly or cast) or kayak fish for just about anything below the dam. The tail waters of the Licking River are close to the Twin Knobs camp ground. Great hiking trails around lake in the Twin Knobs campground. The town of Morehead is about 10 miles or so away it you need anything or just want to go into town for a meal or supplies. (Walmart and Kroger) Hope you look into this area, very scenic and I think your group would enjoy.
    Likes lacotomo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Cave Run lake is has a most of what you are looking for and its not too far past Northern KY. If you don't mind driving 40 minutes farther you could check Laurel Lake. It's one of our most beautiful lakes and the water is crystal clear. There are boat-in campsites as well as regular campgrounds. The only thing is, in July sometimes the best fishing is at night.