Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland River below Wolf Creek

I’ve never been on the river below the dam with a boat. Might be a crazy question to ask with all the rain we’ve gotten but is it even fishable? The generation site just says 2 or more units so I know they’re pulling but can you fish up near the dam? Targeting trout mostly so I’m thinking we would drift fish. Also, I have an 18ft Fiberglass fish and ski I think with 2 generation units I would be fine as long as I take it easy and watch for rocks? Am I crazy or is it fishable?

Post Thanks / Like
    With 2 going it will be fine to do what you are looking to do. If they shut it down to one the water falls pretty quickly though so be aware of that. I have done very well with flat leaded spoons in silver. I use the cotton cordell ones. Cast them across the discharge and work back to the boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Many moons ago, when you could run right up close to the dam ... I would run the boat up to near the dam & float back down with the current, bouncing silver Kastmaster spoons (with white bucktail dressed hook) along the bottom. I left the big motor running in case I hung up & had to motor back above the spot, but sat in the front seat using the trolling motor to control boat path/movement. I just had to disengage the reel while moving from front seat to console, then reel up slack as I motored back to free the lure. Caught some nice sized Rainbows doing that ... but, it was Winter when i did it (as I remember getting snowed on during one trip).

Now, that was some 40 or so years ago, but I'd say it would still work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Crappie hit it on the head, I use the same technique but typically only fish down there in January and February that way. I utilize my boat the same but will at times find an eddy and hold it in the eddy with the TM and cast across as opposed to bouncing.

Post Thanks / Like
    The ramp at dam is still closed as far as I know

Post Thanks / Like

Below Wolf Creek

They been running 15-17,500 for a couple of weeks now. Usually they drop it at midnight to 10 am ish. Its fishable but you need to put in a Mann Rd.