Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question Trolling Motor - Foot control v. Remote Control

I am looking to buy a new trolling motor. I am considering a Minn Kota Maxxum which is foot control or MotorGuide Xi3 wireless control.

Any one have any experience/input on how difficult it would be to use a remote control for the trolling motor as opposed to a foot control. I am use to a foot control and my thought is for fishing a remote control would not be as effective given I will want my hands free for my rod and reel.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it really depends on what type fishing you do. A typical bass fisherman who uses artificial bait is constantly casting and retrieving. This means both hands are busy most all of the time so in this situation I don't think a remote controlled trolling motor is a good option. Yes it will work but there is other styles of fishing that are better suited for a remote control trolling motor. Let's say you crappie fish and you routinely spider rig. You have out a lot of rods but yet your hands have some free time to use a remote...hence the reason I say it will work in all situations but some situations are a lot better than others.
    Likes publican57 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

R19 - thank you for the input.

I am a bass fisherman and that was what I was thinking.

I was considering getting one of those with GPS and with both foot control and remote control; but the one I would want is $1,500-$1,600.

I think I will save the $1,000 and get the Maxxum. I don't really fish enough to make the more sophisticated trolling motor worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Publican...

I have both. For my Ranger its foot controlled for bass fishing. Gotta move in and off the bank through trees etc, with hands on your gear.

for my striper/river boat its the Motorguide XI3. Its a great motor and works wonderfully for pulling planer boards or fly fishing the river.

if I had to replace both right now I would go with foot/remote combo with GPS. It has some big bonus features like tracking a specific depth, tracking a specific route along the bank, and spot lock. Its a lot of cash but if you can afford it....the features may be worth it.

good luck with whatever you choose
    Likes publican57 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Minn Kota Maxxum 55#

I think I am going to go with the Minn Kota Maxxum 55# Thrust trolling motor. I should be significantly better than what I have now.