Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Floyd's Fork & Salt River

Buddy of mine lives on the Salt River just east of Floyd's Fork across the river from Heritage Hills Golf Course.

Going to be in town this weekend and would like to do some fishing in his backyard, can anyone tell me what there is to catch and what lures/bait to use? I'm from NY and mainly fish salt water so river fishing in KY is new to me.

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure, but you "may" get into some White Bass, Hybrid Striped Bass, Saugeye, and any number of catfish or sunfish.

In-line spinners, jigs, Road Runners, blade baits, and even small crankbaits cast from shore would be good, but in lieu of having any of those ... some minnows, #4 hooks & a sinker and small float/bobber cast out and let drift would also work.

Just be aware that with thunderstorms in the area, that graphite rod you're holding can quickly become a "lightning rod" !!

Currently, Taylorsville Lake is a little over 2.5ft above pool & the discharge rate is over 2000cfs, so there will likely be a substantial current if they keep it at that rate. And the rains forecast could make some areas of the Salt a little "unsafe". That being the case, see if your buddy can direct you to the "rock quarry" that's just around the bend from the Van Buren launch ramp. It's accessible by foot, and I have caught Crappie out of there, before, casting jigs around the bank (from a boat). I know it's accessible by foot because I've seen people come down to it while I was there ... I just don't know "how" they got there.
    Likes charley2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Go buy you a couple-3 chartreuse Rooster Tails (1/8 oz) at Wally world and look for deeper pools downstream of some ripples...just about anything you'd want to catch is in the river. That's the cool thing about fishing it...never know what you might catch. I live real close to where it dumps into the lake and have been doing decent for the last month or so when I can go. Just make sure to wear boots and bring plenty of bug spray...ticks are BAD

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had goodluck on the salt river with crawfish immitations. netbait baby paca craws, havoc craw fatty's, and strike king rage craws have done well for me.
    Likes charley2 liked this post