Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland Stripers

Are the stripers spawning now?

Haven't been able to fish in a long time and want to go in the morning. Historically the spawn has been tough fishing for me. Any other recent information anybody would like to share on the stripers would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    About mid way back in the creeks from 15 to 30 feet deep, they are still spawning and scattered. Bass are biting like crazy too, it’s hard to keep bait on the hooks at times. Top water bite is also pretty good at night right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    i only caught one fish that hadn't spawned out this weekend but lost a monster at the side of the boat that was fat as well. Fishing was tough Saturday for me but much easier Sunday. Part of the reason it was a little easier Sunday was adjustments and probably one more day through the spawn. I had a keeper double Sunday and a triple of shorts Saturday so the fish will start packing up again really soon. The post spawn fish are a little lethargic but eager to eat. That means that took the bait well but didn't have a lot of energy once they were hooked. That will change very quickly. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the updates.

I ended up not going Sunday due to threat of storms, but I heard the weather was just fine. I had a friend fish with a guide Sunday and only managed 1 keeper fish so I know the fishing has been tough at times.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Tuesday 5/14 I caught three small stripers on a 110 jerkbait while bass fishing. All three came off one long flat shallow point mid way back in a creek about 45 minutes after daylight. Bass were biting also but the size was small. Most SM came on the 110. The LM and KY's were mostly on a small creature bait but I did catch bass on 4-5 different baits. It's hard for me to complain about small fish when numbers were good and all species were biting.

I had not been on Cumberland since the first week in April. I had multiple people tell me in the last 6 weeks that I need to go to Cumberland but like a fool I ignored their advice.
    Likes fishincreek, peter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I fished Friday and had 2 keeper fish. Lost a big one before laying eyes on it. Bait was easy to catch. I fished both creeks and main lakes and didn't mark much activity in any of the places I stopped. Fish were caught 25-35 ft deep. Sorry I don't have much to report I just didn't have great luck. Hope to try again this weekend.

The positive being I took a friend who reeled in his first ever stripers and now he's hooked. Funny how that seems to happen with every newbie that goes fishing with me.
    Likes fishincreek, peter, Wormin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you share a little info on where you found the bait. I will be fishing with my father in law and youngest son this weekend and haven't fished LC for a month. In April the bait was still near the head of the creeks I checked.
    Trying to entertain the family and in-laws usually leaves little time to hunt for bait so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    The bait I caught was in the creek about 3/4 of the way out to main lake. Found it fairly close to the bank on a flat area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info! I will be fishing sat/sun mornings and will be sure to post any results.