Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

New Kentucky saugeye state record - 6lb, 13 oz

New state record saugeye caught in Guist Creek Lake

Louisville angler lands 6-pound,13-ounce fish

FRANKFORT, Ky. (May 6, 2019) - Louisville resident Dennis Rhea won big on Kentucky Oaks Day – not for a bet on a thoroughbred horse running at Churchill Downs, but for a state record saugeye he caught in Shelby County’s Guist Creek Lake.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saug.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	18606

Rhea was fishing the lake May 3 with Brody, his black Labrador retriever and favorite fishing partner, when something struck his silver minnow-shaped crankbait. He brought the fish to hand after a determined fight: a 6-pound, 13-ounce saugeye, the new Kentucky state record for the species.
    “I’ve caught a lot of saugeye the last few years from Guist Creek Lake,” Rhea said. “I like to catch them, I like the way they fight and I love to eat them. They are a beautiful fish.”
    The new record saugeye was 26˝ inches long with a girth of 14˝ inches. It surpasses the old state record saugeye, a 6-pound, 9-ounce brute caught in the Ohio River in 1998 by Chuck Kouns.
    Saugeye are a hybrid cross between a walleye and sauger. The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources began experimental stockings of saugeye in several small lakes in 2013.
    Eight lakes in Kentucky now receive saugeye, including Guist Creek Lake, Boltz and Bullock Pen lakes in Grant County, A.J. Jolly Lake in Campbell County, Lake Carnico in Nicholas County, Carpenter Lake in Daviess County, Wilgreen Lake in Madison County and Taylorsville Lake in Nelson, Anderson and Spencer counties.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow! state records seem to be dropping like flies recently
    Likes peter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JBake502 View Post
    Don't they say things usually happen in 3's? New SR largemouth & saugeye, I wonder what the third will be? My guess is a big redear...congrats to Mr. Rhea on a great ol biggun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagoinfishin View Post
    Don't they say things usually happen in 3's? New SR largemouth & saugeye, I wonder what the third will be? My guess is a big redear...congrats to Mr. Rhea on a great ol biggun.
    Im thinking Cumberland has another Giant Striper lurking down deep somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah. Better get out there and get a line in the water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here you go chuck,its in the air!!!. Will be pullin for ya!
    Likes riverrat12, peter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Im thinking Cumberland has another Giant Striper lurking down deep somewhere.
    Yep me too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    New state record saugeye caught in Guist Creek Lake

Louisville angler lands 6-pound,13-ounce fish

FRANKFORT, Ky. (May 6, 2019) - Louisville resident Dennis Rhea won big on Kentucky Oaks Day – not for a bet on a thoroughbred horse running at Churchill Downs, but for a state record saugeye he caught in Shelby County’s Guist Creek Lake.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saug.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	18606

Rhea was fishing the lake May 3 with Brody, his black Labrador retriever and favorite fishing partner, when something struck his silver minnow-shaped crankbait. He brought the fish to hand after a determined fight: a 6-pound, 13-ounce saugeye, the new Kentucky state record for the species.
    “I’ve caught a lot of saugeye the last few years from Guist Creek Lake,” Rhea said. “I like to catch them, I like the way they fight and I love to eat them. They are a beautiful fish.”
    The new record saugeye was 26˝ inches long with a girth of 14˝ inches. It surpasses the old state record saugeye, a 6-pound, 9-ounce brute caught in the Ohio River in 1998 by Chuck Kouns.
    Saugeye are a hybrid cross between a walleye and sauger. The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources began experimental stockings of saugeye in several small lakes in 2013.
    Eight lakes in Kentucky now receive saugeye, including Guist Creek Lake, Boltz and Bullock Pen lakes in Grant County, A.J. Jolly Lake in Campbell County, Lake Carnico in Nicholas County, Carpenter Lake in Daviess County, Wilgreen Lake in Madison County and Taylorsville Lake in Nelson, Anderson and Spencer counties.
    Great fish ! but I don't think the record will stand very long ... They will get bigger than that in Taylorsville .. we catch them at the falls too and those are the ones that are not stocked they are made by nature LOL