Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing the Green River

I’ve got a 17ft aluminum boat, and I was thinking about giving the Green River a try. Where would be a good place to launch to do some fishing? We have kayaked and fished the portion through Mammoth Cave National Park, but it may be too shallow for my boat. I’ve heard around Munfordville may be a good place to fish, is that true? What would be best for some bass, rock bass, or maybe a little Muskie fishing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay update for anyone who wants to know.

We fished out of the ramp at Brownsville on the Green River.

Fishing was slow. We fished from the old dam down to Alexander Creek. A few smallmouth, Ky Bass, and rock bass were caught. Nothing of any size really. Most fish came from rock banks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudypoo4444 View Post
    Okay update for anyone who wants to know.

We fished out of the ramp at Brownsville on the Green River.

Fishing was slow. We fished from the old dam down to Alexander Creek. A few smallmouth, Ky Bass, and rock bass were caught. Nothing of any size really. Most fish came from rock banks.
    I don't have a lot of fishing experience on the Green river but I have floated it various times from roughly 20 miles above Munfordville all the way to the dam at Brownsville. As far as fishing with a 17' bass boat the pool above the dam is your best bet as there aren't any riffles from above Dennison ferry down to the dam at Brownsville. If you put in at Munfordville immediately the river is shallow up or down and again you go through riffles for many miles above and below. There are some nice holes but this is more canoe / kayak / small boats with motor territory. I am sure there is good fishing at times / places in the Green but my experience has been similar -- I always catch a few but nothing spectacular. Well above Munfordville there is an area called 300 springs and I floated through there once and caught several smallmouth. And several miles above Dennison ferry there is a stretch that includes a huge spring called the blue hole that I remember catching a bunch of spots on small baits in that stretch. Never did raise any muskies or find any walleye but I hear they are there. Beautiful river and one of the most bio-diverse on the planet...

kc