Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Kentucky/Barkley

Any news on a topwater bite right now ?.. Going down there week from next .. thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    All I can say is good luck, you'll need it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AllBoutBass View Post
    Any news on a topwater bite right now ?.. Going down there week from next .. thanks
    Just fished the last 2 morning on KY and could not get a top water bite going early. Lots of small fish feeding on fry but could not get any interest in a sammy or whopper plopper. Lots and lots of fry - must have been a really good spawn. Hope Barkley had the same...

kc

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to add my 2 cents....I caught more and bigger bass this spring while bluegill/redear fishing than I ever have before. I caught a handful of LMB that weighed 2.5lbs on redworms while fishing on bottom. In the past, these catches were 1lb buck bass.

My friend's son caught a 6lb LM over in Kuttawa Harbor two weeks ago while bluegill fishing.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kc View Post
    Just fished the last 2 morning on KY and could not get a top water bite going early. Lots of small fish feeding on fry but could not get any interest in a sammy or whopper plopper. Lots and lots of fry - must have been a really good spawn. Hope Barkley had the same...

kc
    I'm afraid the majority of the fry you are seeing are asian carp fry.
    Likes Bobby Headrick, hstokes liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post

I'm afraid that could be it too.
    Likes Bobby Headrick liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if it's AC fry, too?? The only way forward is through commercial fishermen, that's the bottom line. Put a bounty on their heads, money motivates people like nothing I've ever seen!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Talk about bursting my bubble. I was hoping they were all smallmouth fry and KY would evolve into the next St Clair or Michigan - just the smallies feeding on the juvenile silvers instead of gobies. That lake can't hold any more carp...

Post Thanks / Like
    I have noticed that the carp population seems to be lower than past years, but a few weeks ago I saw lots of asians shallow and obviously spawning, its such an ebb and flow in their numbers, I just hope it's more ebb and less flow. measures that have been taken will take some time to bear fruit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have noticed that the carp population seems to be lower than past years, but a few weeks ago I saw lots of asians shallow and obviously spawning, its such an ebb and flow in their numbers, I just hope it's more ebb and less flow. measures that have been taken will take some time to bear fruit.
    I thought the asian carp spawned in the main channel when theres current? They have to have the current to keep their eggs suspended in the water column? Im almost positive thats how it works but could be wrong. Most bass fry should be a month old or so and not bunched up in the balls anymore with fry guarders around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, and the DNR will insist they don't spawn in the lake...........I call ********.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post
    I wonder if it's AC fry, too?? The only way forward is through commercial fishermen, that's the bottom line. Put a bounty on their heads, money motivates people like nothing I've ever seen!!
    They did..............Most processors pay something like 17 cents..........the State put 10 on top of that or something like that from what I heard, so guys are getting something like 27 cents a lb right now.

I talked to a couple guys who hit Demumbers every day I was there........They had a smaller boat, and could only haul 2000lbs a day, but they were doing that EVERY DAY.

You do the math........that's good money. They were working on figuring out how to update to a bigger boat to haul 7 or 8000 lbs a day..........THAT is a gigantic amount of fish, not to mention a decent payday.

again, do the math.

Later,

Geo