Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland River, Stripers, Float trip, Summer

Alright guys, a lot of you know me on here as a kayak bass angler, I have something a little different. I have a 4 man crew wanting to do a summertime float trip below Wolf Creek dam for striper, this 4 man crew are well seasoned kayak anglers, we will also be attempting to do a professional level filming of this "excursion" with drones, high end camera equipment etc.This should make for an awesome adventure. My initial thought is we are going to try and do this in late august early september, possibly launching from Helm's landing and floating 11 miles to Winfrey's ferry. My problem is that I don't know much about the best striper waters, bait choices, timing etc. I'm not even sure if this stretch of water is very productive for what we are wanting to do. Any advice, suggestions, tips etc is greatly appreciated! If this stretch of water isn't conducive to what I'm trying to do, some suggestions for good water would be great too. Thanks in advance!
    Likes gnawbonejack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lower river

I think there are more striper fishermen lower in the system. Down by my place I would say striper fisherman outnumber trout fishermen 2:1. I caught my first striper on flyrod two weeks ago, 13# 7wt sink tip with a Zoo Cougar. Also saw a picture of a fish caught downstream from me that was 60+ pounds. It was a MONSTER!!!
    Likes MagikSmallie, gnawbonejack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have zero idea about striper fishing or using a kayak in the river but I do have some input..."typically" around July 4 they start the drawn down on Cumberland. When drawing it down to winter pool they do it very slowly over several months so there will be flow in the river in the time frame you are planning on going. I have no idea how this impact striper fishing or using a kayak in the river but just wanted to throw it out there.

Here is a link that shows the past history of water levels. Click on the years to highlight levels of the past. You can see there will be current in the river the last 1/2 of summer and most of the fall.

http://cumberland.uslakes.info/level.asp
    Likes MagikSmallie, gnawbonejack, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R19 View Post
    I have zero idea about striper fishing or using a kayak in the river but I do have some input..."typically" around July 4 they start the drawn down on Cumberland. When drawing it down to winter pool they do it very slowly over several months so there will be flow in the river in the time frame you are planning on going. I have no idea how this impact striper fishing or using a kayak in the river but just wanted to throw it out there.

Here is a link that shows the past history of water levels. Click on the years to highlight levels of the past. You can see there will be current in the river the last 1/2 of summer and most of the fall.

http://cumberland.uslakes.info/level.asp
    Extremely helpful! Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gforcetrivers View Post
    I think there are more striper fishermen lower in the system. Down by my place I would say striper fisherman outnumber trout fishermen 2:1. I caught my first striper on flyrod two weeks ago, 13# 7wt sink tip with a Zoo Cougar. Also saw a picture of a fish caught downstream from me that was 60+ pounds. It was a MONSTER!!!
    When you say further down the system, do you mean Burkesville and down?
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Out of curiosity what kind of drone are you guys planning on using?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolKnowles View Post
    Out of curiosity what kind of drone are you guys planning on using?
    we will likely utilize 2 drones a Mavic Pro 2 and and a Phantom 4.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Burkesville

Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    When you say further down the system, do you mean Burkesville and down?

May thru October is Striper fishing time.
    Likes MagikSmallie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So what you’re asking is for everyone to give you their favorite spots. Tips on how to catch the fish in those spots and then you’re going to record your fishing trip. Then air those spots and your catch out to your audience.

It doesn’t matter to me I’m just amazed how relaxed this forum has become. 5 years ago a pic of a smallie and mention of the duck pond got you crucified.

You just asked for the keys to the mansion and got it. I hope the trip goes well and I’m looking forward to seeing the footage.

Tight lines!!
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckconder View Post
    So what you’re asking is for everyone to give you their favorite spots. Tips on how to catch the fish in those spots and then you’re going to record your fishing trip. Then air those spots and your catch out to your audience.

It doesn’t matter to me I’m just amazed how relaxed this forum has become. 5 years ago a pic of a smallie and mention of the duck pond got you crucified.

You just asked for the keys to the mansion and got it. I hope the trip goes well and I’m looking forward to seeing the footage.

Tight lines!!
    LOL not even close Chuck, but thanks for the input. I didn't know 10-12 mile stretches between public boat ramps would be considered "favorite spots".

Post Thanks / Like
    That train of thought is what’s wrong with forums like these. Guys come looking for advice and someone misinterprets it for competition. It’s the very reason these sites die honestly. Guy wasn’t asking for anyone’s hotspot, just if anyone had any advice or if they had knowledge. People that won’t give advice to those venturing into something new are not helping the sport any at all!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvtohunt View Post
    That train of thought is what’s wrong with forums like these. Guys come looking for advice and someone misinterprets it for competition. It’s the very reason these sites die honestly. Guy wasn’t asking for anyone’s hotspot, just if anyone had any advice or if they had knowledge. People that won’t give advice to those venturing into something new are not helping the sport any at all!!
    I second this!