Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Fishing Green River Lake in the Fall

Hey everyone; gonna be fishing Green River Lake this Fall around Oct. I have only fished this lake in the spring and winter for Crappie.. Never for Bass. GO FIGURE RIGHT !!! Anyhow my friend and his wife fish mostly Topwater and Crankbaits his wife doesn't have the patience for jigs or worms, anybody got any suggestions to where to fish. I fish USA Bassin Twin Lakes Division and we don't fish Green, so I have no clue where to start or what to tell them. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED !! Thanks everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion October is a transition month when bass can be multiple places. When you say "October" I have seen early in the month still be a little like summer conditions but late in the month can be true fall conditions. Either way the days are getting shorter and bass are starting to feed because of the shorter daylight so you need to be close to the shad because that is their primary food source.

In regards to conditions last year on 10/7 I was in a USA Bassin tournament and I specifically remember someone saying I never thought it would make 90* in October but it did. That's not typical but early October can still be 80* or warmer. Then 5 weeks later for the next USA event on 11/11 at daylight it was so cold there was a couple of times we had to dip our rods in the water because ice was on the guides. It did warm up to be a nice 60* day but it was just above freezing at daylight. I know my last example was early November but I just wanted to give a comparison on how drastic a 5 week period can be so when you say October that 4 week window can be warm or cold.

You mentioned they did not have patience for jigs or worms. If topwater and cranks are something they like to throw they should make some contact. I would also add a spinnerbait to my moving bait arsenal. The bite can vary from day to day but I have seen them get keyed in on pitchin a worm or creature bait. My partner has good sucess on a shakey head. If they cant get a bite on a moving bait then more than likely pitchin a slow boat is what they need to do but either way they need to be around shad.