Search Fishin.com

Thread: Musky or Pike

Post Thanks / Like

Musky or Pike

So my sister's boyfriend caught this fish the other day and sent me the pic asking me if this was a musky. I said yes right away but after looking at it a bit closer I'm not sure if it is a musky or just a pike with a color mutation. The fins dont look quite right for a musky as they seem too rounded and are more yellow than red. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of under its jaw to count the pores so I couldn't tell by that either. Now I've been fishing for pike and musky since I was four or five ive tournament fished for muskies and have even been a judge in several tournaments and have probably caught thousands of pike and dozens of muskies and usually have no problem telling the difference between them but this fish is really bugging me for some reason. Let me know what you think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190618_193228_HDR.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	18878  

Post Thanks / Like

Musky or Pike

I would say Musky, just because of the color. The rear fins also look like a Musky. But it's a guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekocher View Post
    So my sister's boyfriend caught this fish the other day and sent me the pic asking me if this was a musky. I said yes right away but after looking at it a bit closer I'm not sure if it is a musky or just a pike with a color mutation. The fins dont look quite right for a musky as they seem too rounded and are more yellow than red. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of under its jaw to count the pores so I couldn't tell by that either router login . Now I've been fishing for pike and musky since I was four or five ive tournament fished for muskies and have even been a judge in several tournaments and have probably caught thousands of pike and dozens of muskies and usually have no problem telling the difference between them but this fish is really bugging me for some reason. Let me know what you think.

Not clear at all, but very similar to Musky.