Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hearington Lake Bluegill

Interested in trying to find decent Bluegill fishing close to home. Not looking for your exact spots but an idea of where, how, and what bait this time of year. I understand the lake holds some good fish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Quailtail View Post
    Interested in trying to find decent Bluegill fishing close to home. Not looking for your exact spots but an idea of where, how, and what bait this time of year. I understand the lake holds some good fish.
    Biggest Bluegill I've caught have come on crankbaits (Wee R). Also the biggest Warmouth I've ever caught.

A couple of other ways are:

Crickets cast out & allowed to pendulum back to the boat ... out in the main lake between the Kennedy Bridge & Chimney Rock Marina.

If it's around the Full Moon / spawning period ... wax worms on a popeye jig under a small float along the cliffs or steep rocky banks. You're subject to hooking into Channel Cats doing this, also.

Deep points up in Red Gate Creek have also been a good place to catch decent Bluegill ... but, for me that was more than 50yrs ago & in August, and we used "horseweed worms" back in those days.
    Likes Quailtail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    and we used "horseweed worms" back in those days.
    Is that a green worm?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    Is that a green worm?
    No ... Green Worms come out of the river banks.

A Horseweed Worm is actually a Common Stalk Borer (larvae stage of a moth). We used to find them in Giant Ragweed plants, along the roadside fences of farms.

My Grandpa called the Giant Ragweed plant a "Horseweed" .... so the "worms" we found inside the stalks were "Horseweed Worms". As I remember .... it was generally in late July into August when we'd travel the backroads looking for a fence row with the plants growing up along the fences. We'd look for the holes in the stalks and the bulged out area ... then cut the stalk well above & below those, then put the stalks in a burlap sack. Now, mind you, this was some 60yrs ago.

Oh, and long sleeved shirts & plenty of "Deep Woods Off" sprayed on is mandatory !! Chiggers & Ticks love these plants.
    Likes jcb, Quailtail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    No ... Green Worms come out of the river banks.

A Horseweed Worm is actually a Common Stalk Borer (larvae stage of a moth). We used to find them in Giant Ragweed plants, along the roadside fences of farms.

My Grandpa called the Giant Ragweed plant a "Horseweed" .... so the "worms" we found inside the stalks were "Horseweed Worms". As I remember .... it was generally in late July into August when we'd travel the backroads looking for a fence row with the plants growing up along the fences. We'd look for the holes in the stalks and the bulged out area ... then cut the stalk well above & below those, then put the stalks in a burlap sack. Now, mind you, this was some 60yrs ago.

Oh, and long sleeved shirts & plenty of "Deep Woods Off" sprayed on is mandatory !! Chiggers & Ticks love these plants.
    Never heard of those, very cool.

Sort of reminds me of when I used to visit my cousins down South and gather catalpa worms for bluegill bait. Nothing better!

Post Thanks / Like
    Crankbaits!