Search Fishin.com

Thread: Harrod's Creek

Post Thanks / Like

Harrod's Creek

I've read a lot of posts here about Harrod's Creek but most are multiple years old.
    I've been fishing it via kayak starting at the Harrod's Creek Park put-in since last year and most days I'd swear the place does not have many fish. Most I've caught on a given day is 4-5 undersized of various variety (LM, hybrid, etc).

I see pics of people who bank fish pulling in 3-4lb LMs but I've yet to get any.

Anyone here still fish the creek will to offer some tips on lure selection and general location?

I've fished upstream and downstream about an hour either direction from the put-in with similar luck. The water LOOKS like it should be absolutely thick with fish - but isn't?

Any other places recommended within 30 minutes of Crestwood? I've hit Long Run a lot but it's so over-fished that I have the same results there.

Thanks for any tips,
    Will

Post Thanks / Like

where to go

give me a P.M. I FISH OUT OF CRESTWOOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by websitewill View Post
    I've read a lot of posts here about Harrod's Creek but most are multiple years old.
    I've been fishing it via kayak starting at the Harrod's Creek Park put-in since last year and most days I'd swear the place does not have many fish. Most I've caught on a given day is 4-5 undersized of various variety (LM, hybrid, etc).

I see pics of people who bank fish pulling in 3-4lb LMs but I've yet to get any.

Anyone here still fish the creek will to offer some tips on lure selection and general location?

I've fished upstream and downstream about an hour either direction from the put-in with similar luck. The water LOOKS like it should be absolutely thick with fish - but isn't?

Any other places recommended within 30 minutes of Crestwood? I've hit Long Run a lot but it's so over-fished that I have the same results there.

Thanks for any tips,
    Will
    I used to fish Harrods Creek allot ...but the last few times I was in there the Asian Carp were so bad it was horrible ...every time I would hit the button on the trolling motor ,3 or 4 of them would jump , sometimes in the boat But I will share this I think if you went way up in the creek , maybe a mile or 2 past the 2nd bridge you would get away from the Asians . WE used to use popeye jigs and wax worms and we would catch crappie and bluegill and a bunch of LM Bass too. ALso a #5 shadrap in blue/chrome or Tennessee shad pattern worked well for us . I have never personally caught a 3-4 lber but my buddy got one almost 6 lbs out of there on a black spinner bait . I know the water quality is bad in the creek , I think that's from the houseboats pumping out their sewage in it
    Likes peter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have fished it numerous times from yak, putting in at same park. I have caught 2-3 3lbs+ largemouth heading towards the river near 42 bridge. Have also caught several large drum near the 'waterfall'.
    I have heard the farther up the creek you go, the better for smallmouth but I have only made it about 1/2 mile past the waterfall and still very little luck with only a few dink smallies. People mention putting yak in on creek in Oldham Co but I have never figured that out.