Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dave's Fishin Reports

Man, I really, REALLY miss my good friend Dave Stewart's fishin reports.......

While I usually don't fish much this time of year, I always loved the ledge reports and the other reports.

Man.........

End of an era .
    Likes jkelley1487 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi George

I have had a lot of folks telling me how much they miss my weekly reports. Here is a short report for you. I have only been out twice in past week. Last Thursday I had 18 bass on top water, lipless crankbait and square bill crankbait. All caught early. (only 3 keepers in the lot) but fun. I was off the water by 9:00 a.m. I was back out this morning. I had 10 bass (8 on topwater but missed 5 blowups I should have had if I was paying closer attention). The biggest on topwater went 5lbs. After the top water bite quit, I caught a 6lb on square bill. I stopped on a ledge on the way back to ramp for a few minures and had a 4lb on first cast on C-rig. Best 5 this morning went 20 lbs. I was off the water by 9:00 a.m.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

How about a bi-weekly or every couple week short report for the Fishin.com forum? Consider us your charity case.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelley1487 View Post
    Dave,

How about a bi-weekly or every couple week short report for the Fishin.com forum? Consider us your charity case.
    I will post a short report here when I have information. I am not on the water every day like I used to be when I was guiding. One way to help you plan a trip is to check out my old reports from years past...just match up the conditions with the reports. Patterns do not change that much during each season from year to year. You can find many years of my past reports at www.explorekentuckylake.com. If you read some of the back reports you will see that during this time of year you will often see mentioned a shallow top water bite early in the morning and late in the evening.

This has always been one of my go to back up patterns this time of year. Again, I will do as you ask and write a short report here for you when I have information..or other words when I have been out on the water. I always took pride in my weekly reports in that I would not write anything that I did not have first hand knowledge of....my reports were very popular and followed by thousands of folks because I was truthful....not just writing something to try to attract business...I did not have to do that....I see a lot of that crap by guides. Check out how many times in the past years that I said the fishing was slow. You won't see that in many reports written by a guide. I saw a number of guides go out of business in my 23 years of guiding because they would always report how great the bite was....it is fishing, the bite is not always good nor is it always bad. It is what it is. When you see guides proclaiming in their report they are the best guide on the lakes then you need to rethink who you are hiring. If they were that good, their clients would be making those proclamations.

You won't see of that crap in my past reports either. If you are not good enough to have your clients referring people to you...you won't stay in business long. You can only tell people ˙ou should have been here yesterday so many times and sooner or later it will bite you where it hurts. I was in business for 23 years until I finally got too old to be out there everyday. I did not stay in business by beating my chest and bullshitting people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stewart View Post
    I will post a short report here when I have information. I am not on the water every day like I used to be when I was guiding. One way to help you plan a trip is to check out my old reports from years past...just match up the conditions with the reports. Patterns do not change that much during each season from year to year. You can find many years of my past reports at www.explorekentuckylake.com. If you read some of the back reports you will see that during this time of year you will often see mentioned a shallow top water bite early in the morning and late in the evening.

This has always been one of my go to back up patterns this time of year. Again, I will do as you ask and write a short report here for you when I have information..or other words when I have been out on the water. I always took pride in my weekly reports in that I would not write anything that I did not have first hand knowledge of....my reports were very popular and followed by thousands of folks because I was truthful....not just writing something to try to attract business...I did not have to do that....I see a lot of that crap by guides. Check out how many times in the past years that I said the fishing was slow. You won't see that in many reports written by a guide. I saw a number of guides go out of business in my 23 years of guiding because they would always report how great the bite was....it is fishing, the bite is not always good nor is it always bad. It is what it is. When you see guides proclaiming in their report they are the best guide on the lakes then you need to rethink who you are hiring. If they were that good, their clients would be making those proclamations.

You won't see of that crap in my past reports either. If you are not good enough to have your clients referring people to you...you won't stay in business long. You can only tell people ˙ou should have been here yesterday so many times and sooner or later it will bite you where it hurts. I was in business for 23 years until I finally got too old to be out there everyday. I did not stay in business by beating my chest and bullshitting people.
    Absolutely.............

I have not been out in a while myself........I've been sick, been hurt, and when not sick and hurt, I've been working my AZZ off......

I will get down there soon though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get well George...you would like this bite. I know what you mean about working hard. My wife saved up 20 years of honey do's for my retirement. I have been ill off and on also. Some days are good and some are not so good. 6 years of fighting Cancer *****. Now dealing with the aneurism on my lower aorta that I got fixed 5 years ago acting up but still trucking on. Everyday I get to go out now is a true blessing.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,
    Question for you...do you know of a pattern for catching redear this time of year? It seems like the spring is the big bite for these fish, but they have to eat every day.

Have you ever heard or seen folks catching redears in the summer/fall months? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post
    Dave,
    Question for you...do you know of a pattern for catching redear this time of year? It seems like the spring is the big bite for these fish, but they have to eat every day.

Have you ever heard or seen folks catching redears in the summer/fall months? Thanks!
    Typically the Red Ear are out deep this time of year although if you get some mayfly hatches you can sometimes catch some mixed in with a number of other species around the hatches early in the morning. We have had big mayfly hatches the past 2 nights and this will probably continue for the next few weeks.

Dave
    Likes redearhoosier liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was out again this morning with a good friend of mine that I met as one of my clients some years ago. We had over 20 bass combined on top water shallow early and a couple on square bill after the top water bite quit. Only 4 keepers with 2 best going around 3.5 lbs each. Still a lot of fun. We were off the water at 8:45 a.m. Lake is starting to get crowded with pleasure boats running around. I am done on the water now until after the holiday weekend.

Dave
    Likes GeoFisher, peter, dyoung57 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We went to walk the 68/80 bridge and it was under attack by the mayflies!!! I guess there were at least a billion of them piled up dead along the entire stretch of walk path. There were also thousands still alive and they swarmed us. We made it about 50 feet and turned for safety!

Thanks for your reply, Dave!

Post Thanks / Like

The resorts owners you should have been here last week.

The resort owners are bad about that, saying you should have been here last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stewart View Post

Likes roughriderbill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny you should mention this about resorts. When the first season I started writing my weekly report, I received a couple of phone calls from two resorts after I had published a report in which I had stated the crappie fishing was slow (this was during the spring). Both of these resorts called me to complain that they were getting some reservation cancellations because of my recent report. My response to both these calls was the same: "So are you telling these folks that are wanting to cancel their reservations that my report is wrong and that the bite is actually good?

I told them both that they know the bite is slow right now so why would you tell anyone different. They both replied that they were losing business because of my report of a slow bite. I told them both, that if you tell folks the bite is good, they will find out in short order when they get here that the bite is slow. All they have to do is talk to any of the locals here, which I am sure they will do after they go out and not catch much...when this happens you will lose your credibility and those folks won't be coming back again so the end result is your going to lose their repeat business as well as the business of all their friends etc. that they tell about what happened. I suggested to both callers that they should just be honest and tell those wanting to cancel their reservations that you would like to take their numbers and contact them when the bite picks up. I told them, if you do that, you will see these folks in the future and also get referals for your honestly.

I don't know if either of these folks took my advice, I am pretty sure that one of them did not as that person told me that I was no longer welcome to meet my clients at their resort dock. I told that person, that is fine, in return I will not recommend your resort to my future clients...which I had been doing. From that day on until I retired I never recommended that resort again to a client and I never met a client at that resort dock. I did get some folks for clients that were staying there but I would always have those folks meet me at a close by public ramp. This did not cost me any business but I have no doubt it cost that resort business from some of my future clients.

I will also say this: I never ever had a client cancel a reservation with me because I was reporting a slow bite. Folks will go fishing when they can, everyone does not have the option of going only when the bite is good. Certainly I guided a number of days over the years that the bite was slow. It is not always good. Ranks right up there with those that would call me and tell me they were considering hiring me for a day of fishing but before they did , they wanted to know how many bass over 5lbs they could expect to catch if they went out with me. That question told me that they know absolutely nothing about bass fishing and had been watching too many Saturday morning TV shows. Normally when I had someone do this, I would tell them I was booked up and refer them to one of the guides that was always reporting a great bite every time they wrote a report. One of these days I am going to write a book about this kind of stuff.