Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, try reasoning with folks that just limited out on a striper trip in 20 minutes. ok you've got 120 lbs of fish in the cooler before breakfast and you're upset?
    "ya shoulda been here yesterday, we only caught 2 keepers in 6 hours....it was FANTASTIC!!!
    you can see the wheels turning in their head as they process this. and within a few minutes everyone is high fiving and taking pics and making excited phone calls.
    it's a fishing charter, shut up and fish lol
    Likes GeoFisher, Moveon, PRO V LE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    Dave, try reasoning with folks that just limited out on a striper trip in 20 minutes. ok you've got 120 lbs of fish in the cooler before breakfast and you're upset?
    "ya shoulda been here yesterday, we only caught 2 keepers in 6 hours....it was FANTASTIC!!!
    you can see the wheels turning in their head as they process this. and within a few minutes everyone is high fiving and taking pics and making excited phone calls.
    it's a fishing charter, shut up and fish lol
    LOL...I know what you mean. Had many times I had trips where the clients would catch numbers of big fish example: best 5 going around 25-30 lbs and they come back again and don't understand why that did not happen the second time out...typically it would be inexperienced anglers that had no idea what they had just done on the first trip. Try to explain to them that they had a "lifetime day" the first trip. I can see what you would be up against when you go out and catch that limit in a short period early in the morning and have to tell the clients you are done now...LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously enjoying this thread. Hired Dave many years ago for a couple of days. Caught a ton of bass and learned so much about bass fishing. I've applied these concepts as far south as Florida and north for Canada smallmouths. BUT didn't have 25-30lbs. I guess I should have demanded a refund! If you ever write that book, I'll buy a copy for sure.
    Likes Moveon, peter, jkelley1487, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Another report

Went back out today to check on my shallow water pattern. First time since last week. The TVA pulled the water down 3 ft since I was out there last week. Fish are still there...top water early...one of my old clients went with me. We had 14 this morning with the best 5 went 19.5. Again off the water around 9:00 a.m.
    Likes GeoFisher, jkelley1487 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stewart View Post
    Went back out today to check on my shallow water pattern. First time since last week. The TVA pulled the water down 3 ft since I was out there last week. Fish are still there...top water early...one of my old clients went with me. We had 14 this morning with the best 5 went 19.5. Again off the water around 9:00 a.m.
    Dave, hope all is well.

Checking to see if you’ve been out lately? Heading down for the week, probably staying at Moors.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't been out since week before last but I did point a past client in the right direction last weekend of where to go and what to throw and he had a very good day in his tournament. I am out of town right now but will be back late this afternoon. I am planning on going out tomorrow morning for a while and could use some company in my boat if you are interested in a little fishing with an ol guy. I live very close to The Moor's. If you want to go with me, give me a call this afternoon at 270-362-9987,

Dave
    Likes jkelley1487, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave was gracious enough to allow us to tag along a few days last week. Managed to squeeze out a few decent ones.

Thanks again Dave!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	515E12E9-E2D1-40E2-94B2-19305B0A741D.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	19119   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0E70DC80-1E57-4867-87C6-49FA734DEE54.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	19118   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1CDA6D16-8805-45C6-BBB4-7464AF21F3FA.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	19117   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A2FF9C3E-48BE-4260-98F5-538B6B8299C4.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	19116  

Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I enjoyed having your company and my wife thanks you for going out with me. She worries about me going out by myself now days. If any of you other folks are coming to the north end of Ky Lake and don't mind riding around in my 22ft Ranger and putting up with an ol guy you might give me a call to see if I am in the mood to go fishing. I don't promise you will catch a lot of fish but I don't mind sharing my years of experience with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever trolled spoon plugs on KY lake?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stewart View Post
    I enjoyed having your company and my wife thanks you for going out with me. She worries about me going out by myself now days. If any of you other folks are coming to the north end of Ky Lake and don't mind riding around in my 22ft Ranger and putting up with an ol guy you might give me a call to see if I am in the mood to go fishing. I don't promise you will catch a lot of fish but I don't mind sharing my years of experience with you.
    Years ago I found KY lake placid like glass and enjoyed a day out on the main lake. I didn't get to do that very often in the two weeks a year we spent on KY lake over the years. Normally the lake was rougher and my boat (john boat type) was not the type of flat bottom square front that did well when the waves were up. With no "V" front my boat would slam into the waves and almost come to a full stop with water spashing over the front of the boat and soaking everyone. So when the water was calm as glass I gleefully cross over to the Easter Side of the lake to fish the mouth of Panther Creek. I could see on the old map of the lake where the creek entered the old river bed. So I got out the heavy duty fishing rod with lead core fishing line and tied on a big spoon plug (those advertized and used by Buck Perry back in the 1960's). Buck was the guy that taught people to fish deep and trolling a spoon plug across the bottom of the lake was about as deep as you could get.

I hooked up a big large mouth bass on the first pass and started to dream of filling the boat with a limit of LM bass that day. But the fish got off by jumping three times and tossing the spoon plug off its' face. I started trolling again but foul on a stump and lost my one and only spoon plug. But I did learn that big bass did indeed stay out in the water along the KY lake ledges.

Now if I had a bigger boat that could handle the white caps on KY lake I would have fished the main lake ledges more often.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not spent time trolling for bass although many years ago I used to take my wife crappie fishing and trolling for crappie. She enjoyed that more than casting or watching a bobber. Trolling was not really my cup of tea although I know it is an effective way to catch fish. I prefer the challenge of finding them and using skill to catch them myself. That is not a slam against folks that like to troll...it takes some skill to do that also...just not my preferred way of catching bass. This lake can get rough and make it tough on you if you have a smaller boat unless you are fishing back in a creek or bay, thus that is why I have a 22ft Ranger.

I took a lot of fish off the ledge at the mouth of Panther over the years, that spot fits into the type spot that I taught my clients for many years in my Eliminating Water classes to be a high percentage spot to hold fish.

For the record, we caught all our fish last week back shallow in a couple of bays where a small boat would have had no problem with the wind but the larger boat did make the ride there and back more pleasant.

Post Thanks / Like

Honey Do year

This has been such a honey do year, that I have not been out once since I left down at KY lake in Mid May.

I do have a Canada trip coming up in a few weeks, and that will get my fishing fix for me, but Man oh Man, I sure do miss those top water days at KY.......