Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hypothetical Creel Limit question

Say a buddy and I go out crappie fishing. We both catch our limits, but when we go to leave my buddy figures he doesn’t have time to clean his, so I take them home. We drove to the lake separately so when I leave, I’m carrying double the limit with only me in the vehicle.

Legal?

Post Thanks / Like
    Doubt it is considered legal but guilty of this hypothetical question myself on many occasions. I think once you are home and get one of those cleaned you are ok. That is where creel/possession comes into play.

Post Thanks / Like
    call the KDFWR and ask them, they have the only "correct" answer.
    but yes I am also guilty of the same exact thing on too many occasions to count, and it's usually below Wolfe creek dam where game wardens are present very often.
    I always take a picture of the person(s) with their fish so if I'm questioned after they leave I do have some form of proof they were actually there. I've never had to test this method so I cant tell you if it works .
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Get on the internet (well I guess you already are ) and read the KRS and KAR for this topic. These are the laws and regulations for KY. Then see how you would interpret the laws and regs. Then consider how any random judge would interpret the reg or law if there is anything vague or grey in there. And ... if you want try to figure out how any random officer in the field would interpret them. Then ask yourself could you successfully argue your case in the field with an officer if you did happen to have access to the laws and regs in the field. If you loose the argument there then determine if you want to pay the fine or go to court and discuss the law with the judge.

It may be clearer than what I have alluded above but sometimes it's not.

That is a good very question and it happens a lot!

Good news is that every time I have been checked it has been on the water or at the ramp after returning. That way they know at least how many people were on the boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    Say a buddy and I go out crappie fishing. We both catch our limits, but when we go to leave my buddy figures he doesn’t have time to clean his, so I take them home. We drove to the lake separately so when I leave, I’m carrying double the limit with only me in the vehicle.

Legal?
    NOT legal, and you will have a hard time with that.......If that EVER comes up, I'd take a selfie with your buddy and all the fish, with a DATE stamp. IT won't help you I bet, but it might.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvtohunt View Post
    Doubt it is considered legal but guilty of this hypothetical question myself on many occasions. I think once you are home and get one of those cleaned you are ok. That is where creel/possession comes into play.
    Nope, I believe possession is what is ALSO in your freezer at home.........

Later,

Geo
    Likes gforcetrivers liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Nope, I believe possession is what is ALSO in your freezer at home.........

Later,

Geo
    Don't think that's how it works in KY.

KDFWR defines Possession Limit as:

"A possession limit is two times the daily creel limit for all fish species with a daily creel limit and EXCLUDES PROCESSED FISH"

I read that as .... once the fish are cleaned they no longer count towards your Possession Limit, so fish you have cleaned & have in your freezer at home are not affected by that law.

The "excludes processed fish" portion of that law was added to the definition many years back.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post