Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

How to catch GAR ?

I been fishing the falls by the fossil bed lately an I been seeing lots of small and Large Gar all over but I Don’t know how to catch them . I’ve heard small hooks on cut bait ?

Post Thanks / Like
    They will eat a small Rapala if you run it in front of them. They cut them off easily though so a light wire leader is a must. Hard to get a hook in them though. You can catch them with just a piece of white rope unraveled and pulled in front of them but it’s near impossible to release them as the rope becomes entangled in their teeth. They are fun to catch if you can put a hook in them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamrycraft View Post
    I been fishing the falls by the fossil bed lately an I been seeing lots of small and Large Gar all over but I Don’t know how to catch them . I’ve heard small hooks on cut bait ?
    Actually, the easiest way is to use a jig: take a 4-5" section of cotton rope and fray out about 2/3 of the fibers, then hook the intact section onto the jig (like it was a plastic grub). Cast it in the vicinity of the Gar and keep the jig/rope as close to the surface as possible. They'll think it's a minnow/shad and grab it, getting their teeth snarled in the rope.

If they do manage to get loose, you've had your pullage fun. But, if you do manage to land one, you're going to need some jaw spreaders & heavy gloves to get them teeth separated from the rope without injury (to yourself).

Post Thanks / Like
    They will eat a white spinnerbait if you swim it right in front of them. Quite a bit of fun actually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamrycraft View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB9gtG9X5JE

Post Thanks / Like
    you should only use the rope technique if you plan to KEEP the fish. otherwise you're just giving the fish a slow death

I have caught them on in-line spiners before

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdilbert View Post
    you should only use the rope technique if you plan to KEEP the fish. otherwise you're just giving the fish a slow death

I have caught them on in-line spiners before
    Nah, as long as you get all the rope out, the fish will be fine. Get sloppy and leave some of the rope, and the fish will have a problem. I've caught and released dozens of gar on rope lures, and I can always get all the rope out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudypoo4444 View Post
    Nah, as long as you get all the rope out, the fish will be fine. Get sloppy and leave some of the rope, and the fish will have a problem. I've caught and released dozens of gar on rope lures, and I can always get all the rope out.
    I caught one in the duck pond that was about 4 feet long and made the mistake of bringing it up in the boat ,,,,he thrashed about and snapped my forearm with his snout and gave me ab out 7 holes in my arm ...they weren't deep but it was no fun , luckily the guy that was with me had some rubbing alcohol and the wounds never got infected ... wont do that again ...shoulda let him have my #5 shadrap
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GAR.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	19108  
    Likes Tyme2fish liked this post