Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's just ban bass tournaments.

Left Green River Marina and headed toward Holmes Bend this afternoon for a leisurely ride in my pontoon with the grand kids. Water was choppy because of the wind. As I pass the dam area I see a multitude of boats lined up along the shore ahead.

Then here they come. One at a time, wide open, bouncing their boats on the water, not caring how close they get to your boat or how big a wake they make. Probably between 30 and 40 boats. The wakes and wind made riding rough.

I felt like a made a left turn at Daytona.

It's just so ridiculous how these people act around others. You would think that because they paid an entry fee, they owned the lake.

Post Thanks / Like
    While I understand your point the entire process for the take off of a tournament takes less than 10 minutes. And while those 10 minutes make the water very rough it is equally as frustrating to have a wake boat or pontoon going down the middle of the lake pulling a something and clogging up traffic.

I just try to be patient and remember that everyone takes advantage of the lake in their own way.

Post Thanks / Like

Here We Go Again

Most of us can't stand the pleasure boaters making their big ass waves, pulling skiers turning in circles while in the middle of the lake to pick folks up that they just slung off the towable inflatable tied behind the wave maker barges or the wake boats & yachts that lots run that are purposely plowing to make huge waves that somehow get blamed on bass boats & how about the pontoon wakes that almost throw you out of your boat too while fishing a point because they seem to think while plowing along that since they're not in the standard wake maker that their wakes couldn't possibly bother that big 21 foot bass boat with their 250 to 300 horse power motors that are making the water so rough for the hundreds of pleasure boaters that are poking *ss along plowing & making the huge waves us bass fishermen can't stand. I think if i owned a big wake maker or a pontoon what i would do is blame everything that could possibly go wrong or just plain doesn't suit me on the water on the bass boaters. Don't even get me started on the water lice jet skiers that seem to want to run up into the holler you're fishing or circle you while fishing a point without even a clue what their stupid asses are doing. Give me a break. Sorry. i'm not one to sugar coat anything much, but my opinion is i can't stand pleasure boaters always crying & bitching about fishermen. We may run along at a good clip at blast off, but when it comes to pleasure boaters most not all are busy getting drunk listening to deafening music ( or whatever they call that crap they have obnoxiously blasting throug a set of speakers) & don't have the least bit of a clue about much of anything going on around them on the water, but they always want to bitch about fishermen & their rigs when they're way more in tune with what's going on around them then the pleasure boaters ever will be. That's a fact.

Post Thanks / Like
    You didn't even touch on the weekend pleasure boaters trying to use a boat ramp. More often than not they back down to the water, then unstrap the boat, load up the coolers, dog, kids,etc. I had a guy two weeks ago back the boat into the water, put the truck in park and start airing up an inflatable with a 12 volt air compressor all while sitting on the ramp.

The point is we all encounter situations that are frustrating so try to be patient and enjoy the water in whatever way you find most relaxing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Les, I'm confused, so you do or dont like pleasure boaters? you're sending mixed signals 🤣🤣🤣
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It's just Be Nice.

If you are bouncing, you are not on plane, you are too fast for the conditions. Too close is too close.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by llg View Post

It's just so ridiculous how these people act around others. You would think that because they paid an entry fee, they owned the lake.
    Anyone & everyone has an equal right to use the lake, no matter what the person's intended use or experience level is. That's the reality we face every time we launch (or in some cases try to launch ) our boat, rather we're fishing in the jackpot tourney or taking a ride with the family. Especially from Memorial Day to Labor Day. A little common sense and courtesy at the boat ramp & on the water goes a long ways, but it seems there's very little of that during the peak boating season. I've had people on plane get so close to me while I'm fishing I could smell their sunscreen, and they didn't give a crap about how close they were...just wave at me and keep driving. Doesn't matter rather it's in a jon boat or a yacht, you just can't fix stupid. But don't punish the majority of people that enjoy something because of the occasional run-in with an idiot. Yeah, rough water isn't fun and can be scary, but it's part of summertime boating, whether its during a tournament or not. I'm not a fan of the wake board boats and the tsunami they leave behind...but I've learned to deal with it. It's either that or stay home & mow grass while wishing I was there! I'm sorry you and your grandkids had a bad experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by llg View Post
    Left Green River Marina and headed toward Holmes Bend this afternoon for a leisurely ride in my pontoon with the grand kids. Water was choppy because of the wind. As I pass the dam area I see a multitude of boats lined up along the shore ahead.

Then here they come. One at a time, wide open, bouncing their boats on the water, not caring how close they get to your boat or how big a wake they make. Probably between 30 and 40 boats. The wakes and wind made riding rough.

Darn those guys! Putting their boats in a public lake and driving around like everybody else has the right too! What are they thinking exercising their American freedom?

Post Thanks / Like

OOPS Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    Les, I'm confused, so you do or dont like pleasure boaters? you're sending mixed signals 藍藍藍
    I sure wouldn't want to send mixed signals. LOL All joking aside there are some that including fisherman too that actually know how to operate their boat & are respectful of other folks, but most of them are the more middle to older age folks. The younger ones usually don't have a clue & mostly worry about riding around getting sh*t faced & being completely oblivious to their surroundings.
    Likes Bobby Headrick liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Les, I'm a little confused read the title to the thread you start,ed. You want to ban other's with different interest from using the resource we all pay into or not? I,m close to 70 year's old myself but I have not gone as far as yell'ing "GET OFF MY LAWN" yet.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not Les

Les didn't start this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PRO V LE View Post
    You want to ban other's with different interest from using the resource we all pay into or not?
    I'd just like to ban anyone from Ohio or Michigan