Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Green river lake smallies/night fishing

Anyone know what the night bite is like on GRL right now? I'll be in the area fishing August 3-8th. We'll be floating/fishing the river by Greensburg during the day and hitting the lake morning/evenings and after dark. Hoping to get on a good spinnerbait/jig bite after dark for smallies. Anyone got a report?

Post Thanks / Like
    I fish Green a lot and would never go out there trying to attempt to catch smallies. In the river below the dam youll find plenty but not so much in the lake. There were sone weighed friday night but thats the first time i remember seeing more than one or two weighed. The night bite has either been really good or flat out awful and it varies from day to day. Weve had several weeks where the weights were as bad as weve seen in several years
    Likes fishincreek liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    I fish Green a lot and would never go out there trying to attempt to catch smallies. In the river below the dam youll find plenty but not so much in the lake. There were sone weighed friday night but thats the first time i remember seeing more than one or two weighed. The night bite has either been really good or flat out awful and it varies from day to day. Weve had several weeks where the weights were as bad as weve seen in several years
    Caught several this spring and had a couple, over three they are there and seem to be increasing in numbers, saw one over 4 in tourney, however they are only in a few spots on Green.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Headrick View Post
    Caught several this spring and had a couple, over three they are there and seem to be increasing in numbers, saw one over 4 in tourney, however they are only in a few spots on Green.
    They are in there, you just never go targeting them like you would on dale, cumberland or laurel. I fish atleast one tourny a week out there from spring-fall and the numbers are way down this year. You also cant ever count on smallies as theyre there one day and gone the next. There are certain areas where youre more likely to catch them than others for sure
    Likes Bobby Headrick liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not expecting dale or cumberland numbers, and I know they are in limited number on GRL. I know the habitat they like, so I am going to focus time in those areas at daybreak and dusk/after dark. Had some good nights on northern KY lake when everyone was saying numbers of smallies were down and not worth targeting. I am really looking forward to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Acoursey23 View Post
    I am not expecting dale or cumberland numbers, and I know they are in limited number on GRL. I know the habitat they like, so I am going to focus time in those areas at daybreak and dusk/after dark. Had some good nights on northern KY lake when everyone was saying numbers of smallies were down and not worth targeting. I am really looking forward to it.
    Youre likely to still run into plenty of greens chasing smallies out there to have a good trip. Its been pretty tough out there the last few weeks and it seems like the day bite has been a little better than the night bite. I tried catching smallies last night and pulled up on a spot and caught 4-5 but they were all short
    Likes Bobby Headrick liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Appreciate all the info. I've been told the smallies on GRL seem to be small or big with few in between. Have there been fish chasing alewives and shad on the surface lately?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    They are in there, you just never go targeting them like you would on dale, cumberland or laurel. I fish atleast one tourny a week out there from spring-fall and the numbers are way down this year. You also cant ever count on smallies as theyre there one day and gone the next. There are certain areas where youre more likely to catch them than others for sure
    I was reeling in a small smallie this spring and had a huge green fish tried to at it at the boat and i mean huge largie, maybe thats why numbers might be down lol. we caught around 20 small ones that day on a small spot, had several over 12in but only one good one around 3lbs.
    Likes charley2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Caught a few out of the lake but we spent most of our time fishing the river. Beautiful lake and river. I will be back! I did catch a couple of toothy fish in the spillway while killing time waiting for my friends to arrive. Hooked a third but did not land it.

https://i.imgur.com/RxZK8lM.jpg
    Likes kstonich liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

There are good ones on green for sure

I've had several over the years when i fished it regularly over 3 a few over 4 & one that weighed 5.33. However it's hard to fish specifically for them like the guys are saying. i like either a sliver of moonlight & them feeding on shad late or fishing tubes deep on a full moon.