Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Spot the intruder

They say that there aren't any in Cumberland but this is the 3rd I've caught this year. Can anyone spot the intruder??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1972[1].jpg 
Views:	746 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	19113  

Post Thanks / Like
    I see it ! I see it!! it has tiny tennis shoes and if you're not careful it will steal your heart !!
    Likes jcb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    He had his butter knife in hand itching to assist me in cleaning the fish. Never seen a kid so into watching a fish get fileted out.

Post Thanks / Like
    ha, that's good stuff.
    on the hybrid, yep theres been no denying their undisputed presence for several years now. I've probably caught 50 in the last 10 years and personally seen that many or more being cleaned at the jtown fish cleaning station.
    a few years ago I spoke with a fisheries biologist on this matter and they all but admit there was a mixup in a delivery of stocking fish. ok so I will buy that. but what confuses me is I've caught them over 11 lbs several years ago, and caught them that weighed 5lbs last year. that math doesn't work from one accidental stocking.
    but hey I'm not complaining, those are the meanest hardest fighting of all the striped critters

Post Thanks / Like
    There was a picture floating around about a month ago where someone thought a new state record white bass had been caught in Green River Lake. It weighed 11 pounds and had it been a white bass it would have shattered the state record by several pounds. I took one look at the broken lines thought nice 11 pound hybrid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, know of several caught over the years when they're are none in cumberland .

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wonder if there are any white bass in Cumberland, they could hybridized naturally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by linedrager View Post
    Just wonder if there are any white bass in Cumberland, they could hybridized naturally.
    There are some white bass in Cumberland. I think the few hybrids are a result of both cross spawning and some mixups at the hatchery. I lean more toward cross spawning as the classes are spread through several years. Its also important to note that Hybrids are not recognized in Cumberland and those caught must abide by the 22" striped bass regulations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whites use to be thick in Cumberland back in the early 80's. We'd go in the evenings & catch therm in the jumps on the main lake or up in the backwaters pf creeks when the were running up them. Supposedly there were some striper stocked that had some kind of disease that they were immune to, but the whites weren't & it almost completely wiped them out. I know they were fun to catch & you could tie several doll flys on & a lot of time catch 2 or 3 at a time. I wish they were like that nowadays because it was fun catching them.

Post Thanks / Like
    We caught some whites in the spring and early summer way up in the Rockcastle River this year and a few on up the Cumberland from the mouth of Rockcastle trolling. When I was a kid in the late 80’s we used to catch them in jumps on top water boats near the mouth of Fishing creek in the summer. They would come up in jumps in what looked like a never ending line. Of course I was young so I’m sure it wasn’t as grand as that but there was darn sure a lot of fish jumping. Wasn’t anything to have 4 on at once with the folks and my brother all casting at the same time. It was fun!!!