School is starting, summer vacation season is over, the waters are less crowed with fewer boats and fishermen as fall is approaching, the annual mullet run will be starting soon with migrating bait fish schools moving south down the coast and in the intracoastal waterway with schooling game fish to follow. But for now late summer patterns continue as cooler temperatures are still a couple months away herein Florida. Summer variety catching is still the usual in the backwaters here at Mosquito Lagoon and New Smyrna Beach, many different species on every trip, including good numbers of Speckled Seatrout, Mangrove Snapper, Whiting, Jack Crevalle and Ladyfish, alsostill biting a few along the way are Snook, Black Drum, Redfish and Pompano, and surprise catches of more unusual fish for this area like small size Permit, Bonefish, and Mutton Snapper. Some fish even have a natural freak anomaly, like this nice size Snook, caught and released by Hamp from Georgia, a split, double lateral line on thefront end of the line, this is the first Snook I’ve ever seen withthis ……………...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	August2019 Hamp Snook.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	19215

Spotted Seatrout are an every trip, year round fish here in my area of the backcountry, many schooling size fish are widespread through the area, and better size specks are also a regular catch, long timeclient Joe from Tampa with one of the nice Trout from a recent live bait trip, this “over the slot” fish was released ………………

Name:	August2019 JoeTrout.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	19216

I do trips all the time with families and young kids along, I bring push button Zebco outfits for the younger kids to make it easier for them to cast and fish, young Miles hooked up this nice Snook on his Zebco rod, a great battle with the fish pulling drag over and over and jumping many times, then a great Photo and Release …………….

Name:	August2019 Miles Snook.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	19217

Repeat husband and wife clients from Canada were out with me again on a good Seatrout trip, Nathalie with her best Trout of the morning …………………

Name:	August2019 NathalieTrout.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	19218

……..and Martin hooked up a 5 lb Jack Crevalle sight fishing with an artificial lure out of a school of surface striking jacks chasing mullet ……………..

Name:	August2019 MartinJack.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	19219

Black Drum are also a year round fish here in the Lagoon, Jordan with a nice one ……………

Name:	August2019 JordanDrum.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	19220

Speaking of unusual fish for this area, all through this year I’ve had several young Permit caught on the boat, they are usually more southern Florida fish so not an expected catch her, Joe had a great light tackle battle with this little Permit ……………..

Name:	August2019 JoePermit.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	19221

FUN FRIENDLY LIGHT TACKLE FISHING ADVENTURES
Indian River and Mosquito Lagoon Backcountry and Flats Fishing
CHILDREN ALWAYS WELCOME – FAIR PRICES
Near Daytona Beach, New Smyrna Beach, and Orlando, East Central Florida

CALL OR TEXT ME ANYTIME 386-689-3781
See my website https://EdgewaterRiverGuide.com

Capt.Michael Savedow