Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Cumberland help

I’m heading to Cumberland for Labor Day weekend. We stay in house boat and I take my bass boat as well. It’s not really a fishing trip bc I’m with my wife and several other couples. However, I plan on trying to get out a time or two this year. Have tried a few times and just catch a small fish here or there. Are there any specific creeks that are better than others for some spotted bass or largemouth? Don’t want your spot just a general area if it is better than other areas. It is a big lake and I have never truly fished it as I have other lakes so I just don’t know much about it. Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwormy View Post
    I’m heading to Cumberland for Labor Day weekend. We stay in house boat and I take my bass boat as well. It’s not really a fishing trip bc I’m with my wife and several other couples. However, I plan on trying to get out a time or two this year. Have tried a few times and just catch a small fish here or there. Are there any specific creeks that are better than others for some spotted bass or largemouth? Don’t want your spot just a general area if it is better than other areas. It is a big lake and I have never truly fished it as I have other lakes so I just don’t know much about it. Thanks for any help.
    Do you know what part of the lake you'll be on?

Post Thanks / Like
    We are renting the boat out of Beaver Creek. Is that a good creek? Just looking to run a little in the morning or evening for a top water bite. I’ll have 2 guys with me that don’t really fish. They like to try and top water lures are the easiest obviously. Lol. Can we get on a top water bite in the trees in that creek? Again, I’m not looking for 3-5lb fish, but 12-15 inches to have some fun. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwormy View Post
    We are renting the boat out of Beaver Creek. Is that a good creek? Just looking to run a little in the morning or evening for a top water bite. I’ll have 2 guys with me that don’t really fish. They like to try and top water lures are the easiest obviously. Lol. Can we get on a top water bite in the trees in that creek? Again, I’m not looking for 3-5lb fish, but 12-15 inches to have some fun. Thanks!
    You're in a great spot.

Beaver Creek and Otter Creek share a main lake entryway. Both have good depth, which I think is pretty important this time of year. Indian Creek is just downstream on the same side of the lake and has been a good summer spot for us in the past. Just across the lake the bays on either side of Rowena Rd. might be worth a trip as well. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    We used to catch Smallmouth on topwater lures in mid Oct ... mainly the points on the right as you exit Beaver/Otter (across from the little island) and out on the main lake to the right, on the main lake side of those rock islands out in front of Buckett Branch. We mostly used twin prop clear body / blue nose Cotton Cordell Crazy Shad. When the occasional "jumps" would occur, we'd have the large sized Silver Buddy (white painted) tied on so as to be able to reach the jumps.
    As you may be able to tell by the baits mentioned .... it's been MANY a year since I've fished those places. LOL !!!
    Also used to catch Ky's & Smallmouth casting a large minnow on a #2 Aberdeen hook & a splitshot about 18-24" up the line from the hook ... casting towards the banks of those islands and letting it pendulum swing back to the boat, or bouncing the splitshot along the bottom.
    These methods may not be pertinent to this time of year ... but, come Oct/Nov it could be a whole other story.