Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Spinning reel issues

Hey all,

In addition to breaking one rod and losing half of another I'm now having trouble with two of my spinning reels.

I have a Shimano Sedona that's about 5 years old and it started lightly seizing a few months ago on retrieve. If I cast and do a stop start retrieve sometimes it will randomly take a little extra force to start turning the handle again. It doesn't matter where the handle is when it happens and it doesn't do it all the time. But it's happening often enough that it's a problem.

I don't think I'm rough with my gear as I try to take care of the things I own. And it's not an expensive high-end reel but also not a cheap one. Same goes for the Pflueger President (also ~5 years old) I have that just started doing the same thing. But it's not quite as bad yet. I don't understand why it's the same problem with both reels in such a short time frame.

Have I damaged these things somehow? Are they needing lubrication?

Thanks for your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Have had similar issues, generally after the reels get dunked or have been in heavy rain. Try adding some light oil under the spool to the shaft and spin the handle a few times. If it loosens them up, Id then take the gear case apart and replace grease on all bearings. Good luck.

Rich
    Likes fishin-fool, Brushawg liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I'll give it a try and report back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Take them apart and clean all the old grease out, flush with W.D.40 then regrease them. that will solve your problem unless something is broken

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought some "reel oil" when buying a new rod today. So far the Shimano seems to be working fine now after doing what Richmann said. I did the same thing to the Pflueger as well. If either start acting up again then I'll work on taking them apart and cleaning and re-applying grease.

Thanks to you both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin-fool View Post
    I bought some "reel oil" when buying a new rod today. So far the Shimano seems to be working fine now after doing what Richmann said. I did the same thing to the Pflueger as well. If either start acting up again then I'll work on taking them apart and cleaning and re-applying grease.

Thanks to you both.
    Depending on how old they are, they might have a screw that comes out on the rigtht side of the reel by the handle that is used for squirting grease into...........I just had the EXACT same issue with a 15 yr old symetre. To resolve the issue, I pulled that screw, and pumped in some of the red hot sauce grease..............turned the handle over a few times and pumped in some more.....that fixed the issue.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Depending on how old they are, they might have a screw that comes out on the rigtht side of the reel by the handle that is used for squirting grease into...........I just had the EXACT same issue with a 15 yr old symetre. To resolve the issue, I pulled that screw, and pumped in some of the red hot sauce grease..............turned the handle over a few times and pumped in some more.....that fixed the issue.

Later,

Geo
    Thanks for the tip! They're both around 5 years old. I used them a few days ago and they were working fine. But I may do some more maintenance on them this winter.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post